Filling pool with well water

sadiebug209

Apr 28, 2020
Brazoria, Tx
Hey guys. So I am filling my pool with well water and I know it is going to have metals in it. I have metal free to put in it. I’m just wanting to clarify the order and time I should do things. My pool is about 13,000 gallons, vinyl and above ground. My understanding is to first balance pH, then add the metal free and let it filter through the water before adding the chlorine. Is this correct? How long should I wait to add the chlorine? And at what point should I add the CYA?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: As soon as the water is high enough to pump water, I would do the following:
- (Right away) Start soaking a sock with stabilizer for a CYA of about 40 (summer's coming).
- (Right away) Add the Metal Free
- (Right away) Check the pH right away and don't let it get over 7.4; a higher pH means more potential for stains..
- (One hour later) Increase the FC slowly on day 1; only increase it to about 2 ppm is all
- On day 2 and beyond, try to increase the FC just a little at a time (by 1 ppm each) for an FC goal of about 4-5 ppm. At the same time, watch the pool for any signs of aggravated iron trying to stain. You may need to add more Metal Free if that happens. Just depends on the iron content in your well water.

You can try pre-filtering to catch some of the iron before it gets in the pool. It may or may not work. But any little bit may help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.