filling our new pool!

jugger2500 said:
I didn't see what kind of shock they gave you. You need to get your CYA up so that the sun doesn't burn off all of the chlorine that you put in there. Regardless, you need to get some chlorine in there ASAP.

If the shock is dichlor then you would be chlorinating and bringing up the CYA at the same time, so hopefully that is the case.

Did the pool store give you liquid chlorine? If they didn't I would question how they expect you to maintain the pool with out it. You may want to question if they are going to be giving you stabilizer(aka CYA) as well as you need to bring it up to the 30-50 ppm range.

I would definitely skip the algaecide.
The shock they gave me is Bioguard Smart shock. I think I will use that tonight and then use clorox from here. Will that work for bringing up my CYA? I also have Smart sticks.

new pool, test results

Day 3 of our new pool. I am trying to balance, I recieved the tf-100 kit yesturday, here are the results
ph 7.2
fc 3.5
cc .5
TA 120
cya under 20

Pool is new, I have added some chemicals that the pool company gave me- ie: pool magnet, clarifier, alkalinity+, I shocked with Bioguard smart shock last night and put in 2 smart sticks. Other than about 8 more smart sticks i will be done with the chemicals that were included in the pool package and would like to go BBB.
Any suggestions as to where I go from here? I am new and completely overwhelmed. I have been reading pool school and everytime I read it, it makes a little more sense!

Re: new pool, test results

Some one in the know will be along to help. To me the Alk looks ok, Cl is low for your CYA. I wouldn't bother with the clarifier, and don't know about Pool Magnet. They will guide you on ph and shock. I didn't bother with the stuff they gave me went straight to BBB and gave the kit away. Check the Pool Calculator ( http://www.poolcalculator.com/ ), its a great tool.

Re: new pool, test results

kidsluv2swim said:
Day 3 of our new pool. I am trying to balance, I recieved the tf-100 kit yesturday, here are the results
ph 7.2
fc 3.5
cc .5
TA 120
cya under 20

Pool is new, I have added some chemicals that the pool company gave me- ie: pool magnet, clarifier, alkalinity+, I shocked with Bioguard smart shock last night and put in 2 smart sticks. Other than about 8 more smart sticks i will be done with the chemicals that were included in the pool package and would like to go BBB.
Any suggestions as to where I go from here? I am new and completely overwhelmed. I have been reading pool school and everytime I read it, it makes a little more sense!

Hi there, you don't need to start a new thread for your first test results. Actually it's easier to understand what's happening if we keep it all together in one thread, so I merged the topics.

Anyway...back to your results.

Your numbers are ok. Your PH is on the low side, and using the smart sticks is okay just keep in mind that they are acidic and may lower your ph more, so you'll need to increase that. Use the pool calculator for dosing to raise PH. Your Alk is fine. Your CYA is a little low and the Chlorine level is fine for now....it's not too low for your CYA. CHeck out the chart in my signature for your target level, your minimum and your shock level. Never let the FC drop below minimum. Don't worry about the .5 CC for now but if it gets higher you will need to shock. The smart sticks will continue to raise your CYA and the recommended level is 30-50 once your in that range stop using the sticks, and stick to liquid chlorine or bleach.

Does this all make sense? Keep reading pool school, in a month you'll be an old pro. :goodjob:

Thanks for merging, I was not sure what was best.

Let me see if I am on the right track...
PH is a little low so to raise is to around 7.5 I should add 64 ox Borax right?

as far as chlorine and CYA i need to watch it because it could lower quickly. My FC should not go below 2?? and if it does do I shock?? or just add bleach to up the level?

also CC at .5 if it rises I will need to shock, does this rise quickly, how often should I be checking it?

as for the CYA/chlor chart is the shock level what my chlorine reading is just after being shocked or just a target range to plan for?

Thankyou so much for the help!

kidsluv2swim said:
Thanks for merging, I was not sure what was best.

Let me see if I am on the right track...
PH is a little low so to raise is to around 7.5 I should add 64 ox Borax right?

as far as chlorine and CYA i need to watch it because it could lower quickly. My FC should not go below 2?? and if it does do I shock?? or just add bleach to up the level?

also CC at .5 if it rises I will need to shock, does this rise quickly, how often should I be checking it?

as for the CYA/chlor chart is the shock level what my chlorine reading is just after being shocked or just a target range to plan for?

Thankyou so much for the help!

You could just try aerating to raise your PH since your ALK is fine....point your return eyeball up so that bubbles break the surface. It takes longer that way, so you can opt to do the borax. Up to you. If you entered in the info in the Pool Calc correctly and got 64 oz it should be fine.

If it drops below 2, just bump it up...but if it is cloudy then you should shock. Add enough chlorine each night to keep it between "minimum" and "target" . You can test the CC's whenever you use the FAS-DPD test, usually once a week or every few days....you'll get a routine. If you notice cloudy water then test for it.

The CYA/Clorine chart shock level is your goal for shocking, and what you should reach after adding. So say you want to shock, you enter your goal in the pool calculator, it tells you how much liquid chlorine to add, you add it, you wait 30-60 minutes and test...and you know if you reached it. If you didn't, you'll need to add more bleach. Does that make sense?

I tested again and here are my levels:

FC 2.5
cc 0
PH 7.5
cya less than 20

So if I am understanding everything things look good except my CYA is low, whick is probably why I am adding so much bleach while also using the smart sticks. So should I add some or just stick it out because I am using up the smart sticks and they add CYA?
anything els I should be considering?

If you wanted to you could just chlorinate using the smart sticks for a bit, but keep a close eye on the PH so it doesn't get too low and the CYA so it doesn't get to high. But, as long as you keep an eye on these other two factors there is no reason you couldn't use the Smart Sticks to both chlorinate and add CYA.

If the PH gets to low you will need to use either borax or washing soda, you can use the Pool Calculator to determine how much you would need to use.

If the CYA gets to somewhere between 30 and 50 then stop using the smart sticks and switch back to bleach. You don't want to over shoot the CYA level because then you will have to do a partial drain and refill.

kidsluv2swim said:
I tested again and here are my levels:

FC 2.5
cc 0
PH 7.5
cya less than 20

So if I am understanding everything things look good except my CYA is low, whick is probably why I am adding so much bleach while also using the smart sticks. So should I add some or just stick it out because I am using up the smart sticks and they add CYA?
anything els I should be considering?

What about your TA? :)

Those numbers look fine, yes the smart sticks add CYA. And yes, if your CYA is less than 20, you will have to add bleach each day to replenish the sunlight loss....it's up to you, you can purchase the stabilizer (Wal-mart, pool stores, hardware pool departments all carry it) or just keep adding bleach. But I agree, keep an eye on the level and don't go past 30-50. You could estimate how much bleach you are adding each day, cost wise, and then figure out the cost of the stabilizer and decide which option is cheaper? Do you winterize your pool? It might be cheaper to finish out the season with the bleach/sticks and then see where you are in the Spring. Looks good.... :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today I didn't test TA I just tested for it on Saturday, would it change that quick?
Yes we winterize our pool so Ilike the idea of finishing out we the bleach and sticks.
This forum has been great! Thank you all for your help! My pool looks crystal clear! :-D

Okay so in less than 8 hours my FC went from 2.5 to just .5. Yes, it was a warm sunny day and the kids were in the pool most of the time' So I added some CYA, I went on the consevative side to allow myself to room so I could use up the remainder of the smart sticks. I also added 96 ozs of bleach.
At this rate I better get myself back to Walmart quickly! :shock:

New test numbers today:
FC 3.5
CC=0
PH=7.5
TA=130
CYA=25( I am getting there)

Okay so I seem to be on track with the bleack?smart stick combo. My Cya is definately rising slowly, I did add stabilizer the other day. My TA is a bit high so what now? If I baking soda won't it raise my PH? what are the suggestions, or should I leave it alone?

Three week update:

So far everything has been going great! I am basically just using bleach, now that I have used up the last of the smart sticks. Here are my latest numbers:

PH 7.8
FC 2.0
CC 0
TA 110
CH 60
CYA 30

I am very pleased with the way things have been going. I am so glad that I bought theTF-100 test kit, it is the best thing I have done so far! It is great to be able to test the water myself so I can stay away from the pool stores! :-D
I do however have a question. Since my PH is up a bit, should I add acid at this point? Don'y worry, I did adjust chlorine, I know I am on the low end of where I want to be. Any other suggestions?

kidsluv2swim said:
I am very pleased with the way things have been going. I am so glad that I bought theTF-100 test kit, it is the best thing I have done so far! It is great to be able to test the water myself so I can stay away from the pool stores! :-D

Congratulations! That's what BBB is all about! Having a great test kit, understanding the chemistry and taking control of your pool! :goodjob:

I do however have a question. Since my PH is up a bit, should I add acid at this point?

I would add acid to bring it down to 7.4-ish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.