Filling a Salt Water Pool

I don’t turn my SWG until I have the proper amount of salt in my pool. I add chlorine as needed until my salt levels are correct and then I turn on the SWG.
Cool. How long does it take for the generator to work after the salt is okay and has been filtered for 24 hours?

If the salt has had a full day to mix and is at the proper level, the cell will start producing at its next self check, usually 12 hours apart. (Providing it has flow and the temperature is 60+).

You can reboot and force the self check now by cycling power.

If the salt has had a full day to mix and is at the proper level, the cell will start producing at its next self check, usually 12 hours apart. (Providing it has flow and the temperature is 60+).

You can reboot and force the self check now by cycling power.
Cool. So I need to run the cell and filter for an additional 12 hours after the 24 hours? Appreciate your help. I’m currently as 3200 ppm. Any reason to increase to the 3500 pppm? I would have to open a bag and eyeball it.

I’m currently as 3200 ppm. Any reason to increase to the 3500 pppm?
Mine works great at 2800-3200, eventhough the manufacturer recommends 3600. YMMV.
I would have to open a bag and eyeball it.
Just for future reference, eyeballing is plenty fine enough for anything we are adding.

Mine works great at 2800-3200, eventhough the manufacturer recommends 3600. YMMV.

Just for future reference, eyeballing is plenty fine enough for anything we are adding.
What do you suggest for the output setting? Mine is currently set to 20. Appreciate all your help!

What do you suggest for the output setting?
I can't find your unit in your history besides its pentair and the IC40 was a possible choice. Whatcha got ? Add it to your Signature. :)

An IC40 at 1.4 lbs per day will make 23 FC in 24 hours, roughly 1 FC per hour while producing. Over the season you'll lose 2-4 ppm per day and need to set the ICXX to match or slightly exceed the daily loss to remain free and clear above minimum at all times. Think of the daily loss like a bell curve with less in the extended season (1 FC a day) and a steep climb/fall for peak season. (4 FC a day)

How many hours is it running also because 20% of 12 hours is 2.3 FC and 20% of 24 hours is 4.6.

What was your daily loss before firing up the cell ?

I can't find your unit in your history besides its pentair and the IC40 was a possible choice. Whatcha got ? Add it to your Signature. :)

An IC40 at 1.4 lbs per day will make 23 FC in 24 hours, roughly 1 FC per hour while producing. Over the season you'll lose 2-4 ppm per day and need to set the ICXX to match or slightly exceed the daily loss to remain free and clear above minimum at all times. Think of the daily loss like a bell curve with less in the extended season (1 FC a day) and a steep climb/fall for peak season. (4 FC a day)

How many hours is it running also because 20% of 12 hours is 2.3 FC and 20% of 24 hours is 4.6.

What was your daily loss before firing up the cell ?
I have the ic30.

Basically I need to add chlorine and calculate the FC loss overnight. Then whatever ppm it loses, I need to set the swg to make. For example, I lose 2 ppm then 20 output is fine.

I have the ic30
OK great. 1 lb produced in 24 hours runtime which equals 17 FC in 7200 gallons. A little over .7 FC per hour produced.
Basically I need to add chlorine and calculate the FC loss overnight.
You need to see what the pool loses during the day. Start well above min and turn the swg off. Test early and late and note the 2 ppm (?) difference. Then set the IC30 to 'run' for approximately 3 hours to produce the 2ppm you lost. (Guestimate for educational purposes).

6 hours at 50% = 3 hours on
3 hours at 100% = 3 hours on.

Etc etc.

Or just guess now at 2ppm loss, run accordingly and be ready to step in with bleach if you guessed low. Aim a bit higher tomorrow and dial it in with trial and error.

Then going forward, each adjustment should get you a week or five of matching the loss at that point in the season. When your regular testing says it's too much/little, adjust accordingly and be on the lookout for the next UV change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.