Filling 27 round , wall buckles

Mjf

Apr 11, 2017
Slidell Louisiana
I have installed a 27 round AG with beaded liner, Pool is a Mighty Sun. Liner is tight and twice filling the liner will buckle wall all around the pool at about 10 inches of water. Pool is level to quarter inch on all supports using a trant level. Transit is level at 360 degrees. I am well trained at using optical levels. The pool is all resin including top track. This is my forth pool install over the years , all with beaded tracks along with several liner change outs and never a issue until now. Any suggestions?

Reactions: TerranGuy
There are a couple of possibilities:
1. Liner is too small. As in a 48" liner on a 52" pool wall?

2. Sand base isn't thick enough.

3. When the liner is dry before filling, did it pretty much lay against the walls most of the way to the bottom?

4. What was the air temperature while you were doing this?
The liner is made to stretch some. Laying out in the sun before you install it helps this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was 85 degrees. The
Liner is marked as 52 inch. The liner does not lay flat on wall. With 6 inches of water on the bottom there is still 4 inches of air space between liner and wall. The water pressure or weight will need to press the liner to the wall. Before it can do this it will buckle the wall and pull wall from upper track .

Just to confirm, is this a new install or are you replacing a liner on an existing shell?

The liner should not be that tight. An inch or two of water should be enough to set the bottom and have the liner up against the wall. Certainly with 6" of water, the liner should be touching the wall.

Check out THIS link for some hints.

Something doesn't seem right here. If a new install, can you verify that they shipped the correct liner diameter for your model pool? Can you try to verify the sizing and model numbers with the liner mfg?

Its a new install. I replaced a old 27 foot round pool. The new pool is installed in the same spot. this is my fourth install over a 25 year period with several liner changes all beaded and never a issue .I have talked to swimline and royal swimming pool. Both assure me it's the correct liner. I called both companies prior to filling because the liner is so tight. Both said it would no be a problem if i fill on a hot day. I am in south louisiana and we are in mid 80s every day now. I actually tried a second beaded liner from swimline with the same result, very tight. Might Sun pool support contacted me last night. The all resin pool I purchased will not support a liner unless it will pull tight to wall prior to filling. Royal Swimming Pool and Swimline have no help. Mighty Sun recommend a overlap liner, but make one more attempt and fill with a couple inches and let sit a couple days. Pool measures 27 round 52 wall. Bead installs in track great , does not bunch up anywhere and fits perfect at bead track. Front bead track to horizontal seam measures 46 inches . Swimline says 46 or 48 to seam will work. The Mighty Sun Marage all resin pool is light weight especially the upper resin track. The beaded liner combination may not work. Unfortunately it will be at my expense because Royal won't stand behind the pool or liner. Once sale is over so are they.

Try using a shop vac to suck the liner into place before you add water?

That's how I did my unibead liner and it worked extremely well. It's so much easier than using water to get everything into place, you should be able to determine if the liner seems to fit right before you proceed with water. You may need to add more sand to raise the floor a bit more as well as the cove. Another option would be to add a layer of XPS foam sheeting instead of sand, I sure wish I had!

A big shop vac with lots of air flow works best, slide the hose in through the skimmer hole into the space between the wall and liner, tape cardboard over the remaining skimmer and return hole. I used a soft broom to shift the liner around and had almost zero wrinkles when done. The vac had my liner pulled almost tight to the walls all the way down to the foam cove before I ever added a drop of water.

If you haven't done this check out some of the videos on youtube. I understood the principle, I used to do this years ago when I put liners in large fiberglass boxes but I was pretty skeptical everything was sealed well enough on a pool. I was surprised how well it worked.

Tried a vacuum. It pulls the liner as far as it can but no ware close to the wall. Kept vaccume running while adding water. Liner will get tight as a rubber band. Still will not lay on wall before liner will buckle wall all the way around then finally pull wall from resin top track. The pool manufacture said try once more. Full pool with several inches and let sit for a few days in direct sun. If liner still will not pull to wall do not fill and use a overlap liner. That's great but Royal sold me this Mighty Sun combo with Swim line beaded liner. 500 bucks down the drain.

I want to thank the folks that have replied. The suggestions about raising the bottom and the cove are great. This can only help . Mighty Sun Pool manufacture has also helped tremendously with the info about the resin pool will not take the force of the water stretching the liner. This pool really needs a overlap liner and never should be sold with a beaded liner and receiver. Beaded liners are always a tighter fit and really can't be adjusted other than stretch. This all resin pool has a very light weight resin top and bottom track. It can not take any pressure on the top. Pressure must only come from the side pressing outward. The slightest downward force and your done on this pool. I have 44 years of experience in failure analysis and trouble shooting on major machinery. For the largest oil company in the world and have worked around the world and a dang above ground pool is kicking my butt !!!!! :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you end up having to use an overlap liner or did you get your beaded liner to work? We currently are on our fourth attempt at trying a unibead liner for our pool and the top will buckle after about 12" of water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.