Fiberglass Pool (SW Chicago Subs)

ICXC NIKA

Aug 5, 2020
Palos Heights, IL
Happy to find this place and look forward to learning and contributing.
We are in the early stages of planing/researching. From what I gather so far, it seems our timing couldn't be worse, the demand for pools is through the roof and even getting call backs is proving difficult. In any case, we are still getting a pool and hope to learn more how to optimize our buying process.

Nice to see another SW Chicago suburb future pool owner here. Our estimated start date for our FB pool is 9/1. Had the same experience as you, a lot of PB in the area, not a lot of them calling back, all of them booked into late spring/summer 2021! Have fun with the research!

Welcome! Nice to see another Chicagoland person here. I’m Chicago proper, almost finished with my build. If it makes you feel better, I signed my contract in 6/2019 and we still aren’t done!

Here’s my build thread:

Mark

Welcome! Nice to see another Chicagoland person here. I’m Chicago proper, almost finished with my build. If it makes you feel better, I signed my contract in 6/2019 and we still aren’t done!

Here’s my build thread:

Mark
I grew up in the north side of the city and a in ground pool was unheard of then. Very cool to see that type of improvement going in!

Reactions: crimson avenger
Nice to see another SW Chicago suburb future pool owner here. Our estimated start date for our FB pool is 9/1. Had the same experience as you, a lot of PB in the area, not a lot of them calling back, all of them booked into late spring/summer 2021! Have fun with the research!
Thanks for dropping a note. Do you get the sense PB's are rushing jobs this year? Feel like you're getting what you paid for? I dont want to push off our project but I am concerned about quality with the short construction season. Thoughts?

I haven't started my build yet, but get the feeling from my PB they are on the same schedule they gave me in May when we committed, so they aren't hurrying up, but they aren't slowing down.

In our area, there are a lot of PBs around, and I contacted just about all of them to go over what we wanted. Only 4 actually responded, 3 engaged in a conversation about my new pool, and two sent quotes.

If you find the right builder for you, I wouldn't worry about quality because of the shortened season. These builders have been working on a shorted season forever, and now with the increased demand, all they have done is book much farther out that normal. A lot of the builders around here are already scheduling for late spring/summer of 2021.

I think what you may find is the amount of quality subs to do the work hasn't increased, but because of this, it will increase the build time so they can build more pools with the high demand. The excavating crew will come, and then nothing for a while. Then the pool comes and nothing for a while. They are spreading the subs to more projects, but from what I've seen, they aren't skimping on quality.

Check out Mark's build, its not just interesting because he's dropping a pool where you normally wouldn't see one, but it can show the time it takes to get it right, and from what I can see, its done right. But he will vouch, its taken some time. Maybe longer than most, but time for sure.

Drop me a PM if you want to talk about any specific builders or pricing that I've dealt with.

Reactions: crimson avenger