Fiberglass pool - Heavy (Iron ?) stains - help :)

SpykeYs

May 29, 2017
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hello,

I have a fiberglass which has some heavy stains throughout and I think I would need some assistance to resolve the problem.

FC: 0 (was previous 5, but brought down to 0 for Acid treatment)
CC: 0
CH: 225 (need to increase)
TA: 70
CYA: 30 (will bring up once stains are removed)
PH: 7.2 (was 7.5, but brought down to 7.2 for acid treatment)

In the fist picture below, the red circles shows a very small *UNSTAINED* portion of my fiberglass.I though this was actually the stain but it turnes out that the whole pool is stained with very small portions like this one not stained.... Ok I have a bigger problem than expected..

The only chemical I had access to is Azur Stain Remover ( https://www.homedepot.ca/product/azur-2-kg-stain-remover/1000832620 ) which seems to be citric acid (unknown concentration). I did put ~600-800g into my pool and it partially worked (which is a good sign) but only removed ~15% of the stains so far and basically where the powder fell. You can see on the second picture, the circle in orange is what the stain remover did so far which is proving to be somewhat working....

What to do next ??

Throw the Azur Stain remover in the garbage and buy some absorbic acid ?
Once all stains are removed I add a metal remover ?

How do I remove the metal and make sure this does not happen again next time I SLAM my pool ?

Any help is greatly appreciated ! I just want my stains gone :(

*Sorry for the dirty pool

11.jpg22.jpg

If the citric acid removed the stains, then you have iron. There are a few basic things to consider at this point:
- Where did the iron come from? Are you on a well? Local city water supply? Old plumbing?
- The ideal way to remove iron from water is replacing it with fresh water confirmed to not have iron.
- If you are forced to keep this water, you can do an AA treatment. Owners generally have good success with it.
- Remember an AA only pulls the iron off the shell and places it in the water, so if you cant change the water after the AA, you'll need to use a sequestrant periodically.
- Some folks have fairly good results filtering iron through poliyfill, usually while the iron is in an aggravated/precipitated state.
- Be sure to keep the pH from exceeding 7.5 and balance the FC properly to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

I'm done with my AA treatment and all of my stains are gone ! Wow was my pool dirty ! It's now super white....

I guess I could remove 50% of my water but as I have a fiberglass pool, my pool store is suggesting not to remove any water as it could cause demages by lifting the pool is the inground water level is too high.. (pushing my pool up). What do you guys suggest ?

I guess I could go with sequestrant and see if this will remove the iron.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.