Fiberglass - blue vs white?

Mona1986

Feb 13, 2022
Fredericksburg VA
Hi TFP community! To all those that have FB pools (or those that don't but have knowledge or feedback) what are your thoughts on a white vs blue fiberglass pool? I like the look of blue better, but from what I have been reading online white may "fade" less noticeable over time. This pool would not have waterline tile, would be located in Virginia, exposed to full day sun (when not cloudy), have a SWG (If that matters), would be covered with auto cover when not in use during pool season, and covered with solid loop loc during winter. Thank you for reading and any opinions!

With your pool covers I doubt you will get much fading from the sun.

Get whichever color you want. Even if the blue fades a bit you will be the only one who knows what color it started out being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mona1986
I have a light blue fiberglass pool. It makes the water look very clear. But the light colors will show the iron staining, which I have been fighting. Most like the dark blue color, and that wouldn’t show the staining. Just something to think about 👍

I have a storm grey color from Imagine Pool and although they say they can fade, I didn't let it deter me from the color I wanted.

Attachments

• 20220610_110025.jpg
    20220610_110025.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 48
Casey, this is so pretty! What is your coping and surrounding made of?
I have formed concrete. Nothing special but great guys who know how to build pools and pour concrete. They put a white track down onto the fiberglass pool and snapped a form on it and the added a foam looking form that gives the appearance you see on the face of the "coping". When they laid the concrete, they vibrated it to pull out all the air pockets so it didn't look cratered with holes.

As far as your color choices go, get the pool finish that you want. You're only going to build this pool once. I had a tight budget and went with plain brushed concrete and I had a great experience with it. It has already started cracking where its supposed to at the control joints. I feel that I chose the best PB in the area.

Attachments

• 20220619_103300.jpg
    20220619_103300.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220619_103412.jpg
    20220619_103412.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220619_103351.jpg
    20220619_103351.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220619_103333.jpg
    20220619_103333.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220619_103311.jpg
    20220619_103311.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220619_103247.jpg
    20220619_103247.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: Mona1986 and Lanzz
Mona, who are you using for your FG pool? I'm not too far away and always looking for references!!! So little FG pool installers it seems in our area.
Hi Sarah. I have been working with River Pools based in Warsaw VA. I really wanted to work with a Co that mfg and installs the pool, but I also really liked their website. They have a lot of articles and videos on their site about everything pool related and made it me feel like they weren't just trying to sell a pool basically 😀 so far I have just done verbal consult, initial proposal, and finished a site visit. I'm now waiting for the fancy 3d rendering and final proposal. Have not signed a contract yet and If I move forward, likely a Jan or Feb build.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a negative experience with River and did not use them, but it was a pretty specific experience and I know lots of folks like them. I suggest that you make sure they will negotiate a good payment schedule. At the time I talked to them they were demanding almost all the funds up front, leaving very little leverage at the back end. Hopefully they’ve changed that.

Hi Mona! Thanks for sharing. I am *well* versed in RiverPools and have watched all of their videos etc! I hope one day they venture back up to the Rockville area for installs, right now it's out of there service area.

Let us know what they say regarding payment schedule. I've been in this forum for some time lurking etc and have also read the various posts on the altered payment schedule that required much of the payment up front. If you search I'm sure you can find it, someone even suggested putting the funds in an escrow account to show that it was present and free but they declined. I think from what I've read it's customary to do 30% in increments and apparently people who had River pools in the past got this but then it changed. Some peeps thought they got too big for their britches or just had ridiculous work in order to make a statement like requiring nearly all funds up front.

That was a some years ago so curious to see what it is now since I want a RiverPool one day, ha!

I have formed concrete. Nothing special but great guys who know how to build pools and pour concrete. They put a white track down onto the fiberglass pool and snapped a form on it and the added a foam looking form that gives the appearance you see on the face of the "coping". When they laid the concrete, they vibrated it to pull out all the air pockets so it didn't look cratered with holes.

As far as your color choices go, get the pool finish that you want. You're only going to build this pool once. I had a tight budget and went with plain brushed concrete and I had a great experience with it. It has already started cracking where its supposed to at the control joints. I feel that I chose the best PB in the area.
This looks great! While I love the look of white travertine, I am realistic with our pool budget and think a classic concrete looks nice, I feel like none of the pool builders here want to do it bc I guess they make much more on the high end materials that everyone gets. I'm a function kinda girl, as long as it does the job nicely it's fine by me, I've never been a bells and whistles kinda person.

This looks great! While I love the look of white travertine, I am realistic with our pool budget and think a classic concrete looks nice, I feel like none of the pool builders here want to do it bc I guess they make much more on the high end materials that everyone gets. I'm a function kinda girl, as long as it does the job nicely it's fine by me, I've never been a bells and whistles kinda person.
I told my PB I need a plain jane pool. I dont need all that fancy automation and stuff. I'm ok going down to the pool n flipping a switch or power button on or off. My guy did great. I can't complain about one thing unless it was the learning curve on the Jandy pump. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.