Few questions about closing

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
Hello all,

First time pool owner and first time pool closer here. Before I eventually post my write up on my closing process to run it by you guys first, I had a few questions that I wanted to ask so I could better wrap my head around how to close the pool.

1.) I have a 6 gallon pancake air compressor which I hear is enough to close a pool. All the videos I've watched typically use a blower. Where do I insert the compressor? I have a Hayward Super Pump. I see most people shove a hose right into the opening of the skimmer pipe into the pump basket and start blowing but no idea how to get the compressor into that. I see there are two plugs at the bottom of the pump. 1 on the long side and 1 at the front. Do I fit an adapter on that?

2.) Following question 1, if that's the way to pump the skimmer lines, how do I pump out the returns? I have 2 valves and they're both located on the skimmer lines. I see some people unscrew the line that goes from the filter and pump a hose in with a blower but how do I get this job done with an air compressor?

3.) I see in the write up to use Polyquat which seems like an algaecide. Is that necessary? Do I have to put anything else into the water itself to prepare it for winter?

Apologies on the question overload but this site has been amazing at answering anything us newbies have to ask so thank you so much!

For questions 1 & 2, post some pics of your equipment pad. There are various ways to attach an air fitting to the system. Whether or not a pancake compressor will do the job depends on your plumbing system, length or runs, etc.

As for the Poly 60, you'll find various opinions. In your area, I would suspect that once the temps remain consistently cold and the water stays below 60, Poly probably won't be all that necessary. Making sure the water is algae-free now and perhaps increasing the FC level anywhere close to SLAM level per the FC/CYA Levels should suffice.

@ajw22 is from your neck of the woods so he may have other thoughts.

For questions 1 & 2, post some pics of your equipment pad. There are various ways to attach an air fitting to the system. Whether or not a pancake compressor will do the job depends on your plumbing system, length or runs, etc.

As for the Poly 60, you'll find various opinions. In your area, I would suspect that once the temps remain consistently cold and the water stays below 60, Poly probably won't be all that necessary. Making sure the water is algae-free now and perhaps increasing the FC level anywhere close to SLAM level per the FC/CYA Levels should suffice.

@ajw22 is from your neck of the woods so he may have other thoughts.
Apologies for the late reply! Been busy lately and kept forgetting to take a picture when I'm home.

Here is my equipment: 3rd picture is where the plugs are.

Simple set up so clearing your lines shouldn't be a big problem as long as your pancake compressor can sustain the volume of air required to move the water out of the plumbing. That will be key. Yes, many people will use an adapter (1/4" NPT I believe) attached to one of the pump drain plugs to push air. Some people chose to disconnect a union and blow air form there using various adapters, so there's no one perfect way. Each to their own you could say. You'll manipulate the flow of air through the suction side and pressure side separately. Below are just a few examples.

Reactions: newdude
Simple set up so clearing your lines shouldn't be a big problem as long as your pancake compressor can sustain the volume of air required to move the water out of the plumbing. That will be key. Yes, many people will use an adapter (1/4" NPT I believe) attached to one of the pump drain plugs to push air. Some people chose to disconnect a union and blow air form there using various adapters, so there's no one perfect way. Each to their own you could say. You'll manipulate the flow of air through the suction side and pressure side separately. Below are just a few examples.

Wow, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge! So I can pressurize the whole system through the pump housing to blow out all my lines (2 skimmers, 2 returns)?
I imagine the air pressure would be more efficient if I close the returns when doing the skimmers and vice versa. I know there are 2 valves on my skimmer lines but none on my returns. Is there a mode on my filter handle that closes off lines going into the filter? And is there a mode that bypasses the filter whenever I want to blow out the returns? (I imagine a bunch of sand doesn't make for good airflow lol)

I imagine the air pressure would be more efficient if I close the returns when doing the skimmers and vice versa.
Correct. Between the shut off valves and your multiport valve you should be able to move air the way you want to. On the MPV, the closed setting when doing suction side and recirculate setting when pushing through to the returns should work.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.