Feel Like I'm back @ Square 1 {Edited to say THANKS on pg 2}

Re: I Feel Like I'm back at Square One

Retested at 9:30 pm and my FC is 14. Do i want to boost that some more? and then I want to hold it there for a day or so? I'm still pretty sure it's dirt, but there's enough leaves and other stuff that I'm sure something could grow! And I guess, keep backwashing my filter...it's pretty gross!

I think 14 is good enough for now, duraleigh doesn't. Either way, if you could test the FC level first thing tomorrow morning that would give us a lot more information.

Meanwhile, keep vacuuming and cleaning the filter and you will get all the dirt eventually.

Kathy,

What helps us most is how much chlorine you are consuming over a given amount of time. To know that more precisely, we'd need to know how many gallons are in your pool. From the pics, I don't think it's 20k but a little closer to 15k so let's use 17.5k as a compromise unless you can get that info from PB more accurately.

So, adding 6 gallons of bleach gave you somewhere around 20ppm of FC @ 11:00AM. Three hours later, you had lost 10+ppm of FC because you are killing algae.

Two things consume chlorine......Organics (algae) and sunlight. Your CYA of 40 offers a degree of protection from the sun so your FC loss I would attribute to algae and not dirt (although dirt will consume some chlorine as well, but not that much)

My overall point in emphasizing the algae thing is that your past history (cutting your pump run time, low FC. low salt, low CYA) indicates that you are underchlorinating your pool and have allowed algae to get a foothold. The cure to that is to add chlorine and lots of it.

Jason and I are actually very much on the same page as to treating your pool. We're simply off a little bit in the dosage as I am quite aggressive in chlorine application and he is more conservative and precise. Either dosage will clear your pool but I want to emphasize to you that you need to do more than treat for "just dirt".

I believe you have a long term underchlorination issue and would suggest.....

1. Clear your pool back to sparkling by keeping your FC up in shock range....15ppm is fine but you must keep it there. Each time you test (two-three times daily is not too much) you must add enough chlorine to get it back to at least 15ppm......each time you test. Run the pump 24/7 and rinse your filter often....it'll speed the process.

2. Once you have completed that process and your pool is sparkling, then I would raise CYA, raise salt, and return your pump run time to it's original value until you can judge where your FC stabilizes.

I would not worry about anything in #2 until you have completed #1.

Thanks, Dave.

I think I was not understanding your position on the algae. I know that there is dirt that washed in, but I wasn't considering that possibly this was an on-going problem, and one that had already been "brewing". I will absolutely go on a full-blown "attack", starting this morning.) The only reason I erred on the 'lower' shock value, was that when I read Pool School info, I was a bit scared of 'overdoing' the chlorine, and the corrosive issues that can happen. (Don't need to add to my problems!)

My FC was 14.5 this morning, meaning I lost .5 overnight?

As far as the number of gallons in my pool, I'm kind of going by my water bill the month we filled. We used about 22,000+ gallons or so MORE than previous months. That, coupled with my (amateurish) measuring, gave me the number I posted. (Hubby contracted it...do you think he knows??? NO! :hammer: )

I REALLY appreciate the you explaining details of the "why's" and "how-to's" of Shocking. (I know, it's all in Pool School, but I was overwhelmed by all the information there! Adult ADD, you know...)

I want to do this right...thanks for your patience with me while I learn!

If you only lost 0.5 of FC overnight then there is very little algae left and almost nothing to worry about at this point. All you need to do at this point is to keep the FC level a bit above normal until all of the dirt is finally cleaned up.

As you clean up the dirt, it will get stirred up, exposing previously buried pockets of organic contaminates. A slightly higher than normal FC level should be enough to take care of that.

You mean there's a light at the end of the tunnel??? Yeah!!!

Now do I start getting the other numbers in check? (I know I need lots of salt; the SWG turned itself off because the level was so low :shock: ) and I know I need to address the pH, too. I guess i need to run a whole new set of tests?

thanks for ALL your help...I am so appreciative of the quick responses I got...and wealth of knowledge!!!

kathy

Your numbers looked reasonably good except for the salt. You do need to take care of the salt level.

PH tends to change day to day, so keep an eye on it. Just remember that high FC levels can cause problems for the PH test. With FC around 15 the PH test may read a little higher than actual. With FC in the 20s, or higher, the PH test is essentially useless.

:goodjob: " I can see clear-ly now, my pool is clear..."

Oh, I am so thankful for this forum!!! My pool is looking great!!!! Here were last night's numbers:

FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
pH 7.8
TA 60
CH 90
CYA 30
Salt 3400

I added muriatic acid to lower my pH. I know i need CYA...but it seems the last 2 times I did that, I got one of those nasty rains that made me have to backwash my filter again and again! (there goes my CYA!!) Is the powder form of the CYA the best way to go?

I also know I need CH, so I'll get that in there too.

I just wanted to thank you so much for all your help and for all your patience!! This is the best place on the web!

(You all do stick around through the fall and winter for the warm-weather folks, don't you???)

Thanks,
Kathy

There is a liquid form of CYA that dissolves instantly, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, but it is significantly more expensive. The powdered/granular form is usually the first choice. If you are really worried about it you could go for the liquid form.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.