Feel Guilty Using Pool First Aid

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
The same thing happens to me every year...I open up my inground pool each year and it's a little swampy. I shock it with liquid chlorine, and it all dies within 6 hours. The next 5 days it clears up considerably, but then it reaches a plateau where it's almost completely clear, but not QUITE completely clear. When it plateaus, the sand filter pressure won't increase at all the next several days, letting me know that it isn't really trapping anymore dead algae.

When it gets to this plateau, I add some Pool First Aid and it's crystal clear within 2 days. I'm not sure if it's the limitation of my sand filter, but for whatever reason, I'm not able to go from swampy to crystal clear using just the liquid chlorine. I feel a little guilty using the Pool First Aid, but it has been necessary to achieve the crystal clearness. Anyone else experience something similar?

The store product really shouldn't be required. Once you have eradicated the alage via our SLAM Process process, being careful to pass all 3 criteria, then simple filtration should suffice. In some cases, a sand filter owner may add a small amount of DE to the filter to help remove the dead algae, but that's about it. If the filter hasn't been deep-cleaned in a while, that could be contributing to the lack of good filtration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.