Features + returns or just features

Maverickftr

May 4, 2021
Houston/Texas
Hi all,
New in ground pool owner, just finished being built. 22,000 gal with hawyard variable speed. My question is whether most people have the return water going towards just features when turned on or both features and returns. I have a fountain and bubbler and a actuated valve that I can adjust when in the on position to route strictly to features or both features and returns.

Last edited:
Many limit the use of features. Aeration of the water from features will cause the pH to rise. If you have a new pool your pH will rise by itself as the plaster finish cures over the next year. Save features for when using the pool or to show them off.

Welcome to TFP. You can help us answer your questions by creating a signature with details about your pool and equipment. It prevents a lot of back and forth when responding to you. You can see my signature for an example of things to include. As a new pool owner, I suggest that you spend some time studying the material in our Pool School to get started.

Many limit the use of features. Aeration of the water from features will cause the pH to rise. If you have a new pool your pH will rise by itself as the plaster finish cures over the next year. Save features for when using the pool or to show them off.

Welcome to TFP. You can help us answer your questions by creating a signature with details about your pool and equipment. It prevents a lot of back and forth when responding to you. You can see my signature for an example of things to include. As a new pool owner, I suggest that you spend some time studying the material in our Pool School to get started.
Thank you for the reply, i just added a signature. I am monitoring ph religiously. I was just wondering when features are on i.e. when swimming, should it be just features or both features and pool returns.

With a VSP you can save a lot of electricity by running a slower speeds when using just the returns, adding the features will typically require a higher speed to get your desired effect. I’m not familiar with the Omni Logic (or any automation system), but you may be able to setup programs for that. Others may be able to advise better on that.

I split through features and returns, when features are active. Pump needs to run at a higher rpm but it’s worth it for good circulation and skimming. Especially if you have a SWG. Probably depends on your features and if your pump can produce enough flow.

I’ve always wished my features were on a separate pump. While it’s kinda cool to have warm water features when the heater is firing, it always irks me as being a bit inefficient.

Reactions: Maverickftr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.