FC Levels

mh0520

Jul 15, 2020
Boston MA
Okay, so I've checked a couple times and I'm pretty sure that my CYA numbers are aroudn 60 which is higher than I would like and probably due to the usage of Trichlor. I tried to drain some water and bring the CYA down and I believe that I did bring it down some but not quite as low as I had hoped to so to get it lower I would have to drain more and then add more. Instead, I think my plan for the rest of the season which is probably only about another month and a half I am going to stick to liquid chlorine so as not to make the issue worse and just keep the FC levels at an appropriately high level for the high CYA level. At the end of the season, I'll drain off about 1/3 of the pool water to try to get it down to 40 ppm where I would like it.

That being said, I have a question about FC levels, though. All of the packaging for granulated shock and also liquid chlorine say that swimmers should not be in the pool above 5 ppm but according to the FC/CYA chart 5 is the minimum number for 60 ppm CYA. What's the disconnect? Is the packaging just wrong about chlorine levels and the safety at higher chlorine levels? Am I misinterpretting the recommendations on the packaging? I know that I will need to keep the FC levels higher than that 5 ppm mark with my CYA being so high but I want to make sure that it is safe to do so.

All of the packaging for granulated shock and also liquid chlorine say that swimmers should not be in the pool above 5 ppm but according to the FC/CYA chart 5 is the minimum number for 60 ppm CYA. What's the disconnect?
Those are generic industry recommendations that do not take into account the FC/CYA relationship. Remember, those are the same ones who say "everyone's" FC should be between 1-3 ppm no matter what. As long as you are under your FC SLAM level for your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels, you are fine.

Reactions: mh0520
Those are generic industry recommendations that do not take into account the FC/CYA relationship. Remember, those are the same ones who say "everyone's" FC should be between 1-3 ppm no matter what. As long as you are under your FC SLAM level for your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels, you are fine.

Got it. Thanks! I should have done a search before I posted; I did so after and found a post from a couple years ago basically saying the same thing. I guess either way it's good to have a couple opinions. Thanks!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.