Silver Supporter
Jul 14, 2018
Milbank, SD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I suspected my sand filter wasn't working as it should (Pentair Triton II TF-60). After some research on these forums, I decided to open the sand filter with the intention of doing a deep cleaning. Upon opening the filter, I noticed these "clumps" in the sand that at first appeared to be white pebbles but when I picked them up they are soft, pliable and have a fat-like consistency. Does this look/sound familiar to anyone? I scooped out all the sand and this fatty-like substance appeared sporadically throughout the sand bed but the vast majority of the impurity was on the top layer of sand.
IMG_3658.jpg
One other potentially related issue - after scooping out all the sand, I noted that the laterals are slightly off-kilter. By that I mean that if the standpipe needs to stand at a 90' angle, my standpipe must be at a 80' degree angle so that a few of the laterals aim upwards and a few aim downwards if that makes sense. Would that have any impact on filter performance? This is the first time I've ever opened a sand filter so I'm not even sure how I would correct that. It got dark as I finished scooping sand last night so I couldn't investigate further.

A few other background notes - I "inherited" this pool last fall. The previous owner/caretaker didn't closely monitor pool chemistry and the solution to anything was always more chemicals (and rarely measured at that). Over the last several years, this pool has seen its fair share of pool store chemicals and promised quick fixes. Reading other posts, I get the impression that some of the supposed pool filter cleaners can actually have detrimental effects on filter performance.

Thank

I get the impression that some of the supposed pool filter cleaners can actually have detrimental effects on filter performance.
I would be concerned of the same thing. I would be suspect of any products used previously, to include floc or clarifiers, that may have made it to the sand. It may be worth changing the sand next season.

I had my own thread on this. My question was can you tell by looking at the sand that it needs changed or should I just change it for a fresh start? I do know the previous owner used clarifiers since he left me a half bottle of it.

I had my own thread on this. My question was can you tell by looking at the sand that it needs changed or should I just change it for a fresh start? I do know the previous owner used clarifiers since he left me a half bottle of it.
Sand generally never goes bad and has a consistent look and feel to it. Other than perhaps some debris matted on the surface or channeling/clumping, there should be no big surprises. A thorough deep clean brings sand back to life. But when sand appears to be clumping or contains unusual material embedded in it, it may be best to replace and start fresh, especially when you have a good idea previous owners used various store products.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.