Eyeball return placement

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hi All - How do you all position your eyeball return. I used to have it where you couldn't really see any ripples in the water as it was positioned straight but down slightly. Then I took it off to plug to do some maintenance on the filter and when I put it back it was angled slightly up where it was creating some small ripples. Does it matter one way or the other for the pool/circulation? Or am I over thinking it? Thanks

Does it matter one way or the other for the pool/circulation? Or am I over thinking it?
Probably overthinking. Ha. :poke: There's no one perfect answer across the board. The most important thing is we would "hope" that the return jet(s) would encourage surface debris to make it to the skimmer. Often times simply moving water from one end to the other, or around the pool for chemical circulation, is all that's needed. I personally like a very slight ripple because when I walk outside I can tell very quickly that my pump is running fine.

That's a good question and I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say. It may depend on what you are trying to achieve. For example, if you are trying to raise pH you may want to point it towards the surface to cause more aeration. But, I think for normal operation you will get a better turnover if it points toward the pool bottom, since you are pulling water from the surface and directing it downward.

On ours I aim it slightly down and slightly to the side so it creates a very slow circulation (round pool) that tends to both mix chems as well as encourage debris toward the skimmer

I have mine turned down and angled away from the skimmer. I have a round pool and it provides enough of a current to circulate the water.

Reactions: cznkane
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.