Exposed rebar after gunite phase

jfarthing84

May 7, 2019
Daytona Beach, Florida
Currently in construction, gunite applied yesterday. However, some of the rebar was not positioned correctly. PB insists that it is not a problem and he will fix it. In my opinion, the money I'm paying, this should have never happened in the first place. It looks like the rebar guys maybe measured incorrectly, or didn't properly secure the rebar. However, the PB should have checked and verified that it's correct, right? Should I request something else?

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 313
Yes, this is serious and I need serious suggestions, please. Before he comes to try and bandaid fix.

Here's our conversation via text:

Me: "It looks like the rebar guys didn't measure right or something. What can be done about this?"
PB: "No worries. It's fine. Gunite is real ugly but strong. It will get either a hot patch or I'll cut some out and a hot patch. No issue. We're good."

Me: "You can see the exposed rebar, right?"
PB: "Yes. It happens all the time. Guys leave it exposed so I know to deal with it. They told me before you. I'm talking to them even when I'm not there."

Me: "Just worried about potential rust stains in the future."
PB: "I would not let that happen. I have materials to contain rebar or I cut it out a little and push it back. No worries. I got it. I won't let anything come through your plaster. Remember, we don't advertise. Getting our jobs perfect are the only way we stay working. We don't cut corners."

Me: "Well, the other concern is structural integrity. The position of the rebar within the concrete is pretty important, right?"
PB: "It is fine. I'll show you when I fix it. There is more than enough rebar in the gunite. And that rebar is going to be repositioned. I have over 22 years pouring concrete and multiple certifications in concrete and hardscapes. You gotta trust me to do my job."

Last edited:
Rebar needs to be encapsulated in 3" minimum of gunite for structural applications. Your rebar looks to be off by about 4" and it's a guaranteed rust issue down the road.

Either make the wall thicker or blow it up and move the rebar.

I too would probably be making excuses if I was in his shoes... that's a lot of work to fix

Last edited:
Reactions: MyAZPool
By the text exchange it sounds like he is going to cut out some of the gunite and preposition the rebar. Which sounds like he is on the right path of how to fix it. He should chip out 2-3" of the gunite, back to where the rebar has at least 2" of gunite covering the bar (may end up chipping out 2" across that entire small wall), cut out the protruding bar but leave 12-18" for a splice lap, and then splice in new bar at the correct depth so 2" of gunite cover can be achieved. If the gunite was just shot yesterday it should still be really green and not that difficult of a fix. The new gunite should easily bond to yesterdays gunite as well.

Reactions: jfarthing84
Everybody screwed up but when the gunite crew found the issue they should have left that wall alone. That would have been an easy fix and then they could have continued with the gunite.

Instead they took the "not my problem" approach and continued which results in the finger pointing game.

The gunite crew will charge to come back, the rebar guys will fix the rebar but they aren't going to chip out the gunite because they should have known about the issue beforehand, and the Builder is going to slap on a Band-Aid because he doesn't want to take a hit to his pocketbook.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can stop the build until it's fixed to your satisfaction.

A proper fix would need to have the problem identified which would take a licensed structural engineer.... they don't work for free

You'd be better off playing nice and kindly explaining what your expectations are

Just spoke with PB. He intends to do what @d_red1 said. That is, chip out behind and reposition the rebar and then patch. He says what he thinks happened is that the gunite guys sprayed too much behind the rebar, which pushed it out, which, of course, they didn't notice until after they went to smooth it out - and that they could have fixed it.

At any rate, he's supposed to be by tomorrow to work on it.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.