Experiences with claiming faulty closing (line blowout)

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I have always opened my pool, and only hired a large local pool company to blow out my lines.

Recently I saw some nextdoor site recommendations for local guys that take care of full opening and closings for reasonable prices. I called one of these guys and was pretty impressed; for about the price that I pay to blow out my lines by the big company he will do a full close, including putting on the loop-loc, etc. Others that use him seem very happy.

I also decided life is too short to screw around with opening so I'm going to have him do that too. :D

I am a little nervous with going with a two-guy company. I'll of course verify he's insured, but I wonder if anyone has ever had an issue that resulted in getting their closing company's insurance involved. I imagined if I ever had a disastrous issue I would call Big Pool Inc and they would have the resources to take care of it, or at the least care about their reputation enough to file a claim to get it covered. How realistic is the belief that having your lines blown out 'protects you' in the event of a buried lines getting freeze-damaged?

Personal experiences of anyone calling their closer to complain of damage is highly appreciated!

Make sure the company has professional liability insurance and not just general liability. When companies say they are insured, they mean general liability and that will get you nowhere. Get a certificate of the professional liability coverage before they do anything and the read the fine print on the contract! Most companies don't have the coverage, even the big ones. Commercial insurance is notoriously bad (I am in the business) and don't expect to get paid unless your claim is VERY cut and dry.

You need to post more. We need more Cowbell. It’s like I got this fever......

Anywho, It’s tricky. I wouldn’t be worried about most people doing it. In these tough times, many folks have had to fall back on previous experiences to get by. It’s all simple stuff and anyone handy can do it.

That being said, small companies working out of a pickup are that way for a reason. They can fold the company tomorrow if need be. So the price is great but the tail light guarantee isn’t. (30 ft or 30 seconds whichever comes first).

Many of them aren’t insured or are under insured. But then again the big places have so many loopholes in their insurance that most aren’t worth the paper that they are printed on.

I would talk to the people you find and let your gut decide. Run if you get any bad vibes in the least.

Reactions: PoolGate
I figured as much - when a line freezes and cracks, what are the chances the closer will admit to it being fully their fault as opposed to a design flaw or one of a myriad of possible other reasons for the damage. I'll do as Newdude suggested, focus on finding someone that has been doing hundreds of closings per year for years and keep my fingers crossed!

Feel free to watch them like a Hawk the first time. You want violent bubbles coming out of the returns and drains. Then you want 1 gallon of RV antifreeze in each pipe and all the pipe ends get plugged. They will take all your drain plugs (pump/filter/heater) and put them in your pump basket.

Year two it’s either the same guy/gal, Or you know *exactly* what to look for from the new employee. :)

Reactions: Cowbell
That's the same thing I do (open myself, pay to close), and for the same reasons, but wonder if it would ever actually matter if something went wrong. I'd imagine without paying them to do BOTH, they'd just point at me and say it happened when I opened, so maybe not buying any legal protection. But at least having them close it, I feel like I've minimized my chances at a massive failure because I did something wrong, forgot, etc. And I use a big enough place that they won't just disappear...

That's the same thing I do (open myself, pay to close), and for the same reasons, but wonder if it would ever actually matter if something went wrong. I'd imagine without paying them to do BOTH, they'd just point at me and say it happened when I opened, so maybe not buying any legal protection. But at least having them close it, I feel like I've minimized my chances at a massive failure because I did something wrong, forgot, etc. And I use a big enough place that they won't just disappear...

This is my thoughts exactly. Also keep in mind your homeowners' insurance most likely covers freeze damage to your pool .

Reactions: Scout101
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.