Expected Heat Pump Life / Recent AquaComfort Experience

Chuck_Davis

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
Durham, NC
I have a 10 year old AquaComfort Vintage Signature AC1250 heat pump (108,000 BTU). Over the years I've replaced a number of parts, some parts twice. Bit of a PITA, but within my DIY skills. The one part I can't/won't replace is the compressor.

I now need to replace the control board at a cost of around $525. With a new heat pump costing around $4,000, and the unit being 10 years old, I need to look at the repair vs. replace question.

Can folks give me any idea of how long I should expect a heat pump, and especially the compressor, to live? I would be interested in information for heat pumps in general and AquaComfort in particular. This model was manufactured by WaterFurnace (AquaComfort now makes their own units) and the compressor is from Danfoss.

If I do replace the unit, I'm considering the AquaComfort Signature XL. (My dealer also reps Hayward.) It will run at 20 GPM which is the same as the existing unit and compares to a 30 GPM minimum for a Hayward Summit XL. The lower GPM saves a lot of money with a variable speed pump. It requires a 40 amp circuit, again same as the existing unit. A Hayward would require an upgrade to a 50 amp circuit. The AquaComfort has a (very good) COP of 6.4 (vs. 5.7 for a Hayward), and claims to operate to lower temperatures than other brands.

Does anybody have any recent experience with AquaComfort, especially since they started doing their own manufacturing? I'm looking especially at reliability and support.

Are there any other brands of heat pumps that you would recommend and, if so, why?

Thanks!

Update: My local dealer has stopped carrying AquaComfort, although they can still order them. I would be hesitant to buy an AquaComfort unit. I crossed my fingers and went with the repair option. Waiting on the part.

I am on my second aquacomfort heat pump. Original one was 11 years old (105K BTU for a 36000 gallon pool - never worked satisfactorily). 2 years ago I had to replace the board for ~$800, so I had the same decision to make. Decide to do the board. But two years later it basically just wouldn't heat anything anymore. Just replaced it with a 150K BTu unit. Its already aggravating me. Heat pumps basically suck. They don't work when you need them the most. When its cold it just cycles with defrost. If you have any other options, follow them. Heat pumps are an expensive waste of money. Unfortunately for me I don't really have a choice. But if you do RUN AWAY from any heat pumps, Aquacomfort or otherwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.