Excited to open pool- then SURPRISE- help!

ffabcd4

Apr 26, 2020
IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi everyone,

The pool company winterized my inground pool for the Winter (Illinois.) I just opened it and once I got the pump running water started to bubble up where my return pipe is (see attached pic.) Has this happened to you? Do I dig down to see if I can find the issue or should I just call the company that closed it? As I start running the pump, it seems to immediately bubble next to the pipe. Advice? THANKS .

Attachments

• A865E5FE-2F73-4F8D-AEA0-FC38996B3B8A~3.jpeg
    A865E5FE-2F73-4F8D-AEA0-FC38996B3B8A~3.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 35
That appears to be the pipe that returns water to the pool. I may have cracked during the winter if not prepared properly at closing. I would contact the company that closed your pool ASAP.
Yes, i believe that is the return pipe. Thanks for your advise. I wonder how this plays out if that is the case, and if these companies accept responsibility and fix it for free.

Yes, i believe that is the return pipe. Thanks for your advise. I wonder how this plays out if that is the case, and if these companies accept responsibility and fix it for free.
Read what you signed when they closed the pool. Hopefully you still have it.

I would like to think they would take care of you but these days everybody has a disclaimer. Have you isolated the plumbing for now?

I would like to think they would take care of you but these days everybody has a disclaimer. Have you isolated the plumbing for now?
Not sure what you mean by '. Have you isolated the plumbing for now?' And I found the closing paperwork, interesting, doesn't say anything besides services performed. Blowing lines out, adding antifreeze.

Not sure what you mean by '. Have you isolated the plumbing for now?'
Closed valves & inserted plugs in returns to stop the leaking & isolate the plumbing from the pool
And I found the closing paperwork, interesting, doesn't say anything besides services performed. Blowing lines out, adding antifreeze.
Definitely call them asap & tell them you have winter damage (a busted pipe in one of the blown out lines) & ask them how they are going to handle it.
If they are not willing to fix it for free - start digging (if you’re ok with diy) or call someone else to repair & send possibly them the bill if you can prove they are liable.
Do they have a website? Claim their services prevent winter damage?

In the meantime continue to manually chlorinate your pool so it doesn’t become swampville - you can mix in liquid chlorine slowly with a brush away from the wall or if you have a submersible pump/cover pump throw that in to help circulate the water/chlorine.

Reactions: newdude
Are you the least bit handy? PVC is one of the easiest things you can DIY.

It appears you dodged a bullet and the damage is in an easy location to get to. I wouldn't even call them and lose my day waiting for them.

Watch some YouTubes for pvc repair. It's nothing but cut and glue. I don't even consider it trade work, it's arts and crafts. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you the least bit handy? PVC is one of the easiest things you can DIY.

It appears you dodged a bullet and the damage is in an easy location to get to. I wouldn't even call them and lose my day waiting for them.

Watch some YouTubes for pvc repair. It's nothing but cut and glue. I don't even consider it trade work, it's arts and crafts
Thanks for the reply. Never received any notification regarding your response so just saw this now.

I'm thinking there was water in the pipe which froze just below ground level.

Should be easy to expose to find out.
Thanks for the reply. Never received any notification regarding your response so just saw this now.

Click the hamburger menu (3 lines) on the top left - then settings- then select the things you’d also like to receive emails about & click save.
IMG_9723.jpegIMG_9722.jpeg
Otherwise all your alerts will only be seen here when you’re logged in
IMG_9724.jpeg

Any developments in the last week ?
Yes, they came out. Did a little digging down. Cracked pipe right there, at the turn. Repaired, filled pool up. Turned on pump today and keeping an eye on it all, but looks good for now. Thanks!

Reactions: Mdragger88