Excavation In Texas has begun! OB~ will Post Pictures as we go~first pool ever~

Re: Didn't learn how to build Pool's in Law School but I'm going to give it my Best!

You are going to need a much larger SWCG unless you plan to add chlorine manually during the hottest months of the year. Even the IC60 will need to run at 100% for 18 hours a day to keep up with a pool that size. ( I hope I calculated that correctly! ) On a 3hp pump that will be costly in terms of electricity. You will also wear out the SWCG early. You might consider running two IC40's. Good luck. Can't wait to see pictures!

Hi Computer Guy,
I'm trusting now you can see my pictures alas, it took a meager trial and error but I eventually figured out the magic. Anyway, I have a question for you regarding the IC60 plumbing set up. How exactly would I run two IC60 in the same system, where would I place them both? Perhaps I am thinking if I plumb separately the spa and grotto from the pool plumbing then I would run a IC60 unit there as well before it arrived at the filter.? I have searched out the internet trying to find a plumbing schematic that has two IC60 running at the same time in the same system, but to no avail. As a result any and all guidance or instruction anyone would like to share, it would be tremendously appreciated. Due to the fact that I am not a skilled a plumber by no means. all this will take some time and planning on my part. And btw Computer Guy~thank you for the warm welcome, undoubtedly appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool start and nice GSD (site supervisor) I have two myself.
Looking forward to more pics on the way thru the construction.

Thank you for the encouragement! It is all very exciting!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, this is going to be cool to watch. I see the typical Texas clay. I think I should get my above ground taken out and get an inground installed.

Glock, The clay and now the added rain from last week and starting again tomorrow! It is not making this as pleasant as it could be thats for sure! However I am super excited as everyday goes by. And if you ever do go down under please let us watch!!

You would need to have 2 of the controller/power supplies and 2 of the cells. You would then just have 2 independent SWG systems that are both plumbed in, either parallel or series. Note he suggested two IC40s (not two IC60s) ... I have not checked the math though ;)

Hi Heatherpinkdolls! I am no expert on plumbing by any stretch of the imagination but some of the experts on here will undoubtedly chime in to help. I believe you will need to run them in parallel and not in series. I posted a thread a while back about running two SWCG's for redundancy. If you look at this thread near the end there is a post by Joshu that states Autopilot has a dual head manifold for installing two cells. Check it out. Love the pics, can't wait to follow your progress. Good luck!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/archive/index.php/t-53489.html

After seeing your plan one thing you need to plan for up front is a sump and pump for drainage of the sunken kitchen. The last thing you want is after a Gulf Coast downpour to find the kitchen with a couple of inches of water.

Are you putting some sort of shade structure over the Kitchen?

I'd also concentrate on completing the pool through plaster before you finish the kitchen beyond rough out if you can do that under your permits. That way you can concentrate on one project and not get bogged down in both.

I'd also go with the Pentair Clean and Clear 520. I think it will hold up better to the 3 HP pumps than either DE or sand.

As for lights I'd go with Pentair Intellibright color changing LEDs for your pool lights and the spa. But I would also put some Pentair Globrite lights in the grotto, around the bar area and in the beach entry. Hey, I'm only spending your money. Additionally, you have lights on both sides of your pool. generally that is a big no no. You generally don't want lights shining towards your house or main seating area. However, your pool is wide, 30 feet wide is as long as most pools, so lights on one side won't cut it. Just try to make sure that they don't directly face places people are sitting. This is where an experienced pool guy can help. You might try looking for the oldest crustyist pool guy around and ask him what he would do for lighting. Some of them can be very helpful.

Oh a little rust on the rebar won't hurt.

gwegan,

Thank you immensely for mentioning the pump in the kitchen area! Ugh! I never thought of place one in the their before! It has indeed been added on the to do list unequivocally. What a lifesaver you were 100% on that suggestion. Especially when it's raining outside I would have been standing there with a bucket saying, "what do I do now?" lol too funny! Hey and thanks for your recommendation on the Pentair Filter 520 My only thought there and question is do you think I may need two filters as well, as one may not be big enough? I would love to hear your thoughts and input on that one. I went forward with ordering the Pentair Intellibright 5 lights for the pool, I will put 3 pentair lights in the main pool and 1 in the spa and glowlite in the grotto. Also I'm installing one of the coolest things ever well at least I think so it's, those star floor lights. I am trusting it will look as amazing as it does in my mind.
To answer your question on the kitchen, " if we are putting on a roof?" that would be, "yes". At first I was in the process of installing a pergola, then after much thought I decided a complete solid roof would be more suitable for that area.

I wonder about the series vs. parallel ... I suppose there could be some issues with the downstream cell if they were in series if there was a lot of gas generation. The nice thing about being in series would be that you could likely get away with a lower flow rate than if the cells and flow sensors were in parallel where you would need double the flow rate.

But, I am not sure of the downsides of being in series.

- - - Updated - - -

oops, just saw the updated post above.

Regarding filter size. Using my usual estimate methods would suggest you want 660 sqft of cartridge filtration ... so the single 520sqft filter is pretty close and should be fine. The bigger the filter, the less often you have to clean it.

I just noticed the size of your pool. My God that thing is going to be huge. I am totally jealous. I'll have to get remarried to afford an inground but they sure do look better. I am going to keep an eye on this and drool over the pics as it progresses. lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just noticed the size of your pool. My God that thing is going to be huge. I am totally jealous. I'll have to get remarried to afford an inground but they sure do look better. I am going to keep an eye on this and drool over the pics as it progresses. lol
Glock,
You crack me up~~~ since I am being the o/b my husband just keeps letting it grow. And truthfully it's grown since I have posted ~ my lands I have three kids, with two of them being Teenagers in High School I think they have already invited the whole school over! I am not even kidding. Well, it helps that the H.S. only has a total of 63 kids. I can't wait to see our how our utilities bill grow as well, lol. No, we know upfront it's all apart of the deal. BTW I love and admire your insignia!

Heatherpinkdolls, I did some research and found a Hayward C-6 commercial cell that is for up to 125,000 gallons. You can see it here http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/hayward/swimming-pool-salt-chlorinators-10905-1480615.html

i personally like the idea of having two. If one fails you can just increase your pump runtime to compensate.

ComputerGuy,

Thank you immensely for providing that link to the Hayward C-6. Hmmm That sounded good until I read your second comment, lol. You make a great point regarding having the two, if one fails I would always have a back up. Okay now what??

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding filter size. Using my usual estimate methods would suggest you want 660 sqft of cartridge filtration ... so the single 520sqft filter is pretty close and should be fine. The bigger the filter, the less often you have to clean it.

Jblizzle, So you think that the Pentair 520 would be sufficient? Therefor I would just need to clean it more often? I don't think that would be an issue to do that more often then not. That idea would most certainly work for me. Thank you

Hi Heatherpinkdolls! I am no expert on plumbing by any stretch of the imagination but some of the experts on here will undoubtedly chime in to help. I believe you will need to run them in parallel and not in series. I posted a thread a while back about running two SWCG's for redundancy. If you look at this thread near the end there is a post by Joshu that states Autopilot has a dual head manifold for installing two cells. Check it out. Love the pics, can't wait to follow your progress. Good luck!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/archive/index.php/t-53489.html

Very Cool! Thanks for taking the time to share this with me in a big way~ I am on my way to read it right now, I am so captivated to see how that system was put together~ and thank you for the vote of confidence on the pool! : )

Just out of curiosity, what was the pvc pipe running through the excavation site? An irrigation line?

Have you jumped into the future pool yet, lol.

Lastly, how big was the leap of faith for you going from wanting to use a PB to going the DIY/OB route with limited knowledge of pool construction? Have you got all of your subs lined up yet? Don't worry about bogging us down with too many pics, post everything you've taken.

Hi Minimonster17,

Just out of curiosity, what was the pvc pipe running through the excavation site? An irrigation line?
That pipe was exactly as you thought, a pipe from the sprinkler system. Well what use to be our irrigation system, lol!

Yes, I have been in the big earth hole in the backyard! I think I had no idea how overwhelming it would be to see such a deep and wide crater back there all by itself. It's huge!

Lastly, how big was the leap of faith for you going from wanting to use a PB to going the DIY/OB route with limited knowledge of pool construction?
hmmm interesting question, well I think after months of frustration trying to deal with a particular builder and their fishing and hunting schedule I decided I had enough! lol Subsequently after talking to several people and learning that most of the p/b around here basically hire the same excavation company, the same gunite company basically all the same sub-contractor and so on and so forth. Therefore, I decided at this point it's a matter of scheduling, some studying, research on plumbing mostly and a lot of time and effort I could very well succeeded at this and get to the end and construct a pool. (hopefully) Asking my husband was probably the biggest leap of faith I had to take ~ however he could not have been any more supportive and enthusiastic. He legitimately and unequivocally was thrilled beyond belief to say the least. He said, "at least I know we will undoubtedly finally get the pool we all have been dreaming about". (no pressure there, lol) See since moving here to Texas and into this home we have all genuinely been wanting to put in a pool. So the family is more then excited and has been willing to help and give me the time to read and learn all I can through this process. However, I would say over all so far it's been a tad stressful! (lol) But so worth it!

you got all of your subs lined up yet?
Mostly Yes I do! I just haven't chosen the what we will use for the finish. Wether to go with pebble tec, sheen, Diamond Brite or whatever else?? I am one of those obsessive types that has to know everything about everything before I make a decision. It's annoying, even to myself I just can't help it.

Don't worry about bogging us down with too many pics, post everything you've taken.
Thank you so much, I need to hear that! You Are very thoughtful for letting me know! You know sometimes your not sure what other think, so I greatly appreciate the information. I will post more pictures soon. Especially since it's been raining here all week-end and and the pool is 1/4 full of water! However, unfortunately it only has the rebar in it!! Not great timing since we have excavated, rain almost everyday or every other day. ugh!!

Hi Minimonster17,

That pipe was exactly as you thought, a pipe from the sprinkler system. Well what use to be our irrigation system, lol!

Yes, I have been in the big earth hole in the backyard! I think I had no idea how overwhelming it would be to see such a deep and wide crater back there all by itself. It's huge!

Lastly, how big was the leap of faith for you going from wanting to use a PB to going the DIY/OB route with limited knowledge of pool construction?
hmmm interesting question, well I think after months of frustration trying to deal with a particular builder and their fishing and hunting schedule I decided I had enough! lol Subsequently after talking to several people and learning that most of the p/b around here basically hire the same excavation company, the same gunite company basically all the same sub-contractor and so on and so forth. Therefore, I decided at this point it's a matter of scheduling, some studying, research on plumbing mostly and a lot of time and effort I could very well succeeded at this and get to the end and construct a pool. (hopefully) Asking my husband was probably the biggest leap of faith I had to take ~ however he could not have been any more supportive and enthusiastic. He legitimately and unequivocally was thrilled beyond belief to say the least. He said, "at least I know we will undoubtedly finally get the pool we all have been dreaming about". (no pressure there, lol) See since moving here to Texas and into this home we have all genuinely been wanting to put in a pool. So the family is more then excited and has been willing to help and give me the time to read and learn all I can through this process. However, I would say over all so far it's been a tad stressful! (lol) But so worth it!

you got all of your subs lined up yet?
Mostly Yes I do! I just haven't chosen the what we will use for the finish. Wether to go with pebble tec, sheen, Diamond Brite or whatever else?? I am one of those obsessive types that has to know everything about everything before I make a decision. It's annoying, even to myself I just can't help it.

Don't worry about bogging us down with too many pics, post everything you've taken.
Thank you so much, I need to hear that! You Are very thoughtful for letting me know! You know sometimes your not sure what other think, so I greatly appreciate the information. I will post more pictures soon. Especially since it's been raining here all week-end and and the pool is 1/4 full of water! However, unfortunately it only has the rebar in it!! Not great timing since we have excavated, rain almost everyday or every other day. ugh!! [/QUOTE]

It's very interesting to see the progression in people's builds that go the OB route. Most people initially, think they will never know enough about pool construction to ever attempt it, will not be able to control the quality of the work of subs, when they will be over to work, etc. On the contrary, a bit of reading, researching local subs, scheduling, and supervising, and you will be left with an excellent finished product at a much reduced price, compared to the same exact apples to apples pool being done by a PB. You also have more sway in each individual phase as towards the equipment/options picked, plumbing setups, etc.

I would mention to make sure each sub signs a lien release upon completion of their work, and receipt of payment, but I'm sure you know all about those things having went to law school.

Unless a homeowner goes with an integrated builder (one who does all, or most of the work in house, very rare,) you are basically just paying a PB to design a pool, navigate the structural engineering and permit processes, and for a black book of subs, who may or may not work in alignment with your schedule. The main disadvantage of going the OB route is for those looking to pay with financing. Most banks won't loan out a bunch of money to someone who is paying a dozen or so people directly, even though that is what the pool builder will do after you hand him the money, and he takes his cut.

Sometimes the pool builder may not even pay all of the subs, leaving the homeowner with paying for the same work twice, or a mechanic's lien.

I'm not sure how the soil is in your part of TX if washout is a problem. I'm in FL where the earth is very sandy, and washout is a huge PITA to deal with. However, it is still important for you to make sure the rebar is not dirty prior to gunite shoot, and to insist that somebody brushes down the entire rebar cage with a wire brush if it is covered in a film of dirt.

On pool finishes, I would go with a pebble tec product. Pebble sheen or fina is a little easier on the feet than the coarser pebble tec. Pebble products are supposed to last a lifetime with proper chemistry. Most diamond brite is only warranted for about a decade here in FL. My parent's pool had diamond brite done the year before they bought the house, and now, 15 years later is beginning to show signs of need of refinishing. Sorry for the long-winded post.

I wish I'd had the fortitude to owner build. But I was already having anxiety issues, LOL. I know my PB is using a full service sub for everything except the dig, the gunite and the electrical. Thats really rare. Your project is going to be fun to watch come to fruition. The bigger the better to live vicariously through!

On another note, if you're in the mood to do some reading, check out this guy's site. He went the OB route in AZ, several years back. Some of the website requires a membership fee to see, but over half of it does not, and the tech is really great, with lots of pictures.

http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/
Minimonster, I appreciate you taking the time and passing on the information on that website~ what a great wealth of information! I'm relishing in all his knowledge, I know it will be an excellent benefit to me in my build. You are certainly correct pertaining to the pro's and con's of o/b and p/b the arsenal of it all is absolutely that little black book!! Of course as you mentioned the financial aspect when necessary, that certainly is a huge consideration. I would have to admit I do love being able to schedule appointments myself and NOT wait on someone else's schedule and additionally being able to decided on my own equipment. On top of All those amazing aspects is the financial savings and further more being able to build a bigger pool if I want or make changes as I go without a p/b adding an additional 10,000 each time! It's the overall control of the whole pool build, yes it's pressure in one regard, yet in the other you gain all the benefits.
However, YOU CANNOT control the Weather!! LOL !! The Rain does not want to seem to stop pouring down here, its an every other day occurrence. They tell me how unusually it is here for this time of the year in Corpus. I mean is God trying to tell me something?? I am I just NOT supposed to be building a pool? Well, it's a tad late I have this ginormous hole in my backyard, lol. It's been Just enough rain to keep us from going forward. Unfortunately the dirt on the sides of my pool are begging to cave in to the middle of the crater. My rebar sub-contractor Rudy has been here on and off trying to rectify the situation. Swooping out buckets and buckets of mud! Ugh what a mess! Thank you for the information on the rebar~ I am so glad you mentioned that however it leaves me more then curious due to the fact my rebar is getting very muddy and obtaining surface rust from the rain. Do you think this is or will become an issue/problem? Considering since you mentioned it, should they be cleaned? My rebar is far from clean at the moment. I will take some pictures this evening when I get home if it's not too dark, as I will be meeting with a client most of the day today. I know, I know I should NOT be working! Bad habit! Something I genuinely thought I would not be undertaking while we were residing here in Texas. But, people always need people and I can't ever seem to say, "no". but indubitably isn't that what life is all about, being in service to others? Okay enough of my life's introspection and philosophy, lol.

Well, for now I will continue one step at a time! I am trying to figure out how to install star floor pool lights before we hit gunite stage. They look amazing! I need to order my slide to go on my manmade grotto. I am thinking of either the S.R. Turbo Twister or the new S. R. hmmmmm name slipped my mind. It's a new one that just came out for fall hmmm ? I'll look it up. So if anyone has any thoughts or suggestion I'm all ears!

- - - Updated - - -

I wish I'd had the fortitude to owner build. But I was already having anxiety issues, LOL. I know my PB is using a full service sub for everything except the dig, the gunite and the electrical. Thats really rare. Your project is going to be fun to watch come to fruition. The bigger the better to live vicariously through!

Thank you Beadedbiker!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.