Every year same swamp

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
Throughout the year, my pool is crystal clear, I constantly get comments that it is the cleanest pool they have ever seen.

Every year when I open it, it is Crayola Asparagus green.

I make sure there is absolutely nothing in the pool when I close it. I close it when the water is below 60 degrees, I use algacide. I raise the chlorine levels and let them drop before closing. I open the pool before it is 60 degrees. Every year without fail I have the most disgusting looking pool when I pool the cover off.

That being said, it takes me less than a week to get it crystal clear again as it is just algae in the pool but I have yet to figure out how to prevent this.

I opened the pool this year on May 4th, earlier than I normally do, the water is was 45 degrees when I took the cover off, and the water was so green I swore the swamp creature lived there. Within a day I got it from forest green to turquoise and it is still getting better each day.

I'd really love to know how to really prevent this, I have asked a few times and have never found a solution outside of close and close below 60 degrees and algacide.

Could there be a problem with your cover? No idea if it matters but.. do you fill from a well? I'm just grasping at straws here. I wonder if closing with the water @ SLAM level would help rather than letting it drop before the cover goes on?

Maddie :flower:

Could there be a problem with your cover? No idea if it matters but.. do you fill from a well? I'm just grasping at straws here. I wonder if closing with the water @ SLAM level would help rather than letting it drop before the cover goes on?

Maddie :flower:
Possibly, not sure. I don’t think so but I am not 100% sure. It is a mesh safety cover. The water is absolutely freezing still (45 degrees) and the greenest pool I’ve ever seen. 3 days later (today) it is starting to look normal but still cloudy. So it comes back fairly quickly I just hate seeing it like that.

I do fill from a well when it is low but I rarely have to add water and the initial filling was trucked in

I have the same issues as you since I replaced my safety cover.
My old cover was solid with drain holes down the center. Always opened to clear water with just some sediment on the bottom. Quick vacuum and ready to swim in a day or two.
Got a new mesh cover a few years ago, and I now open to dark murky water.
This year I opened early, with cooler water and before the big pollen storm. The water was better, but still not as good as with the solid cover.

I have the same issues as you since I replaced my safety cover.
My old cover was solid with drain holes down the center. Always opened to clear water with just some sediment on the bottom. Quick vacuum and ready to swim in a day or two.
Got a new mesh cover a few years ago, and I now open to dark murky water.
This year I opened early, with cooler water and before the big pollen storm. The water was better, but still not as good as with the solid cover.
I have suspected the mesh cover may be part of it, I haven't had much feedback about it though and I have asked for the last 3 years and still no idea for sure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your close :)

Take it to SLAM level and close it up at 50 degrees... On a nice day in Feb pull 1 complete side of your cover and pour 2 gallons of chlorine in and brush the pool from that side to the other.. I usually do it for 10 or 15 minutes, really get the water mixed up and close the cover again.. I do not use anything beside chlorine..

The only difference with my pool is I do not use a cover at all, it is uncovered from Nov to Mar 1st or so but it is closed :)

If you tend to lose CYA over the winter, you could even toss in a puck or two. I find the safety of the mesh cover for children, pets and wildlife totally worth a few days of slam when I open. I also do 2-3 days opening SLAM with the pump on recirc, then shut down pump for half a day, let all dead algae settle and vacuum all that Crud out to waste before I bring in my filter. I have a DE filter, and I find this method avoids excessive backwashing and DE addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.