Ethanol vs propylene glycol antifreeze

propylene glycol-based is the only one approved and safe to be used in pool water... The other is for vehicles and not safe for the pool...

I don’t mean ethylene glycol based antifreeze, I’m talking about ethanol (ethyl alcohol) based antifreeze. Some are advertised as being for pool use and I was wondering if anyone had experience with them.

You can use either one. I suspect that the chlorine demand will be about the same either way. If you blow out the lines correctly, you can use much less antifreeze.

How much antifreeze are you adding?

I would recommend the propylene glycol based antifreeze.

Last edited:
That's too much. If you can get the lines blown out completely, there should not be a need for more than about one gallon.

Also, you can try to rig up a way to collect the used antifreeze during the opening instead of letting it get to the pool.

Do you have a waste setting on your MPV ? I suck from my skimmers right to waste on startup and the only thing left is the gallon in the returns.

I usually stick a shop vac in the lines near the filter and open the plugs in the pool just a little to let water into the lines. I can suck out most of the anti-freeze that way.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.