Equipment set up - any thoughts/changes ?

Riddler0520

Jul 26, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
@kimkats always appreciate your responses; trying to get a few more opinions on equipment setup in below thread
We also have 8 exterior security flood lights on our roof line - wonder what I need to retrofit for them to work with Jandy Auqalink automation

Thinking now towards lighting (what type of lights should I have them use for the steps leading up to spa and for the planter beds next to retaining wall ??

Anything else we should plan for prior to backfill and deck going in (whenever that stage actually happens- still waiting on Gunite).

Going to shoot pool next week, have time still to adjust equipment if needed..
27x36 Gunite
695 sq ft ... 19k gallons
perimeter 104’
2 skimmers, 4 returns
Spa...63 sq ft..6 jets free air, no blower

THIS IS WHAT PB HAS SUGGESTED
Pool equipment JANDY
FILTER
460 ft2 CV Cartridge Filter
#CV460

SWG AquaPure Power Pack and PureLink Cell Kit, 14 Blade
#PLC1400

EPUMP VARIABLE-SPEED PUMP 2.7 THP
#VSSHP270AUT

SHP 5.0 Stealth High Head, 230V (this one does not hook up to automation so will suggest a diff model) this will control spa spillover (6ft wide), 2 bubblers and maybe 1 24“ sheer decent
#SHPF5.0

AQUALINK RS Automation

JXi 4000btu natural gas heater (spa) - not sure of model # yet, any suggestions ?

Jandy Heatpump (main pool)- not sure of model # yet, any suggestions

WaterColors LED RGBW Pool and Spa Lights
2 large for pool and 1 for spa

(2) Jandy Pro Series LED Lighted Bubbler, RGBW Watercolors

Attachments

• 9BEE3745-80E0-482C-A84C-453BC7FBD58C.jpeg
    9BEE3745-80E0-482C-A84C-453BC7FBD58C.jpeg
    612 KB · Views: 28
  • 879E83E5-92F7-461E-91B5-EBD1222D2FC9.jpeg
    879E83E5-92F7-461E-91B5-EBD1222D2FC9.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 30
  • EBE5095F-F318-408C-9237-8466A3E0C725.jpeg
    EBE5095F-F318-408C-9237-8466A3E0C725.jpeg
    556.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 18A3D549-E3D3-41B7-AA69-D09284CC899E.jpeg
    18A3D549-E3D3-41B7-AA69-D09284CC899E.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Very nice design.
Many people have had good success with Jandy equipment.
You may want to ensure you have sufficient valves at your equipment pad to control the different modes.
You may ask the PB to provide you a layout of the plumbing so that can be reviewed by participants on the forum.

Since you are already at gunite stage it may be too late but did you run your 2 skimmers as independent lines? That will give you better control of circulation, especially if you do not have a main drain. If not, no worries.

It is good that you have a separate pump and circulation path for your water features (although not always needed if your VS pump is powerful enough). I tend to like the separate pump and circulation path. You may want to ensure each of your features is separately plumbed back to the equipment pad. There you will place valves that can control what feature is operating.

The Jandy Stealth High Head pump appears to be a single speed pump. You just want to control on-off which should have this capability linked to automation. Under new rules, your pool pump only needs to be VS but water feature pumps can still be single speed. Therefore it is more important that you have valves that can be automatically controlled for each of the features you mentioned. The pump appears to powerful enough to have all features on at once but you should verify that with your PB.

Again, a layout of your plumbing at the equipment pad will help you define all of these capabilities.

Very nice design.
Many people have had good success with Jandy equipment.
You may want to ensure you have sufficient valves at your equipment pad to control the different modes.
You may ask the PB to provide you a layout of the plumbing so that can be reviewed by participants on the forum.

Since you are already at gunite stage it may be too late but did you run your 2 skimmers as independent lines? That will give you better control of circulation, especially if you do not have a main drain. If not, no worries.

It is good that you have a separate pump and circulation path for your water features (although not always needed if your VS pump is powerful enough). I tend to like the separate pump and circulation path. You may want to ensure each of your features is separately plumbed back to the equipment pad. There you will place valves that can control what feature is operating.

The Jandy Stealth High Head pump appears to be a single speed pump. You just want to control on-off which should have this capability linked to automation. Under new rules, your pool pump only needs to be VS but water feature pumps can still be single speed. Therefore it is more important that you have valves that can be automatically controlled for each of the features you mentioned. The pump appears to powerful enough to have all features on at once but you should verify that with your PB.

Again, a layout of your plumbing at the equipment pad will help you define all of these capabilities.
Appreciate the reply - I’ll get with pool builder and ask about the plumbing pad drawing. I am pretty sure there would be valves for each feature because he has talked about controlling each in smartphone app BUT I will confirm just to hear him say “yes” to check that box.

We have a high pool wall next to our spa and thinking of putting a 18”-24” sheer decent in the wall so I can have that feature run while in spa mode.
To run spa 6’ spill over, 2 bubblers and a 18”-24” sheer decent is there a water feature Jandy pump that would work better than others, what size ?

We have a main drain - actually have 2 (there are 4 drains in deep end) can’t recall why when he told me but I will ask again to understand unless one is just temporary.

The plumbing hasn’t been run to the skimmer boxes yet so I will confirm that the plan is to plumb separately as that sounds like the most ideal.

With no spa blower; does the Free Air method actually provide enough pressure to the 6 jets if done right ?

Thank you again

That is almost identical to what I have. Very good choices!

One thing I would ask about is Jandy SmartJVA controllers. These allow you to control the automated valves in 5% increments. But don't be surprised if he has never heard of these. They are nice as they help to balance water features and in real time redirect some flow to other things.

Last edited:
We have a main drain - actually have 2 (there are 4 drains in deep end) can’t recall why when he told me but I will ask again to understand unless one is just temporary.

The reason for the 4 drains are that 2 (they are actually connected to 1 pipe) is the main drain and the other 2 (also connected to another pipe) is the suction for your dedicated water feature. The reason for 2 per line is to reduce suction pressure so no small child can get trapped via suction. Usually the water feature suction is on a wall rather than on bottom of pool. This is so no bottom debris is picked up by the water feature. It still goes through a basket in the pump body but you may ask PB why water feature suction is on bottom of pool (or maybe it is on side and it is not shown).

That is almost identical to what I have. Very good choices!

One thing I would ask about is Jandy SmartJVA controllers. These allow you to control the automated valves in 5% increments. But don't be surprised if he has never heard of these. They are nice as they help to balance water features and in real time redirect some flow to other things.

Thank you - I will ask him when he comes over next - makes sense, especially with a sheer or bubblers, to control the volume/height etc ...

I’ll let you know what he says

The reason for the 4 drains are that 2 (they are actually connected to 1 pipe) is the main drain and the other 2 (also connected to another pipe) is the suction for your dedicated water feature. The reason for 2 per line is to reduce suction pressure so no small child can get trapped via suction. Usually the water feature suction is on a wall rather than on bottom of pool. This is so no bottom debris is picked up by the water feature. It still goes through a basket in the pump body but you may ask PB why water feature suction is on bottom of pool (or maybe it is on side and it is not shown).
Thank you, I’ll ask him when he comes over next to confirm the additional base drain (2 drains) is in fact for water feature and ask why not on the wall

Beyond the debris issue you mentioned, is their anything structurally wrong with this setup, just preference in the event he pushes back and states no issue.

This is what I’m looking at

Attachments

• 744D24DC-4E60-4CE7-AE25-A367C64C130D.jpeg
    744D24DC-4E60-4CE7-AE25-A367C64C130D.jpeg
    884.2 KB · Views: 28
Interesting set up. Maybe some others can comment. The blue hose is definitely temporary to remove any water and prevent pool from floating once gunite is put in. Not sure of the 3 white flowlines going vertical but can only see 1 that may be a hydrostatic relief pressure line. Ask PB to confirm what each line is for. No big deal if your water feature suction is on bottom - just want your PB to confirm what all the lines are so you know how to troubleshoot, if needed, in future. Being on the bottom does have more drain covers that pool cleaner has to maneuver around or people to step on (stub toe). It be interesting to understand why he did that.

My PB ran two lines to the main drain. One is plugged at the main drain and the other is functioning. His reason was so that if something happens to the primary, you just remove the plug (below the drain cover) and you have a second line available as a backup.

My PB ran two lines to the main drain. One is plugged at the main drain and the other is functioning. His reason was so that if something happens to the primary, you just remove the plug (below the drain cover) and you have a second line available as a backup.
Interesting - I’ll circle back and let you know what he says - it’s rained here for 2 days so delays and hope to see them mid week - we will see

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

This is interesting. I would be more apt to think he made a mistake and that is how he covered for it. Perhaps they knocked a hole in the gunite or something like that. You'd think any calamity that befell one of those runs would also affect the other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.