Equipment PSA for the folks in warm climates

I’m sorry. Closing is a foreign Concept to me. Can someone dumb down for me what exactly I’m supposed to do if there’s a random freeze? If there’s an article about this, please share. My pool stays open year round. I don’t know what to do if there’s a freeze except panic or cry? Or both?

Can someone dumb down for me what exactly I’m supposed to do if there’s a random freeze?
In the event of an extended freeze, you would need to drain your equipment if the power was at risk. The manuals for your equipment will list/label where to find the drain plugs.

For typical once a decade freezes in LA, you'd keep your water moving for a few days until it was over.

The cold was only 1/3 the problem for TX/OK which is what started this thread. The snow/ice storms and the power grid which couldn't keep up were 2/3 of the problem.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and kul
I’m comfortable with winterizing my pool (I’ve done it with the help of this forum the past few years).

It’s not predicted to ice like 2021, which is when it got hairy. 2022 and 2023 were probably not necessary for me to winterize.

I didn’t lose power at all any year.

Is the suggestion still to winterize? The temps are predicted to get down to the single digits, windchill puts it negative.

Is the suggestion still to winterize?
It's a tough call and subjective to what the pool owner is comfortable with, both in ability and risk acceptance.

Without a big storm hitting at the same time, I'd be comfortable letting the pool run with plenty of flow. The backup plan would be to drain the equipment pad if the power went out, which would be less likely without a storm.

Reactions: Rodex
What do you mean by plenty of flow? We have struggled with leaks this year, both vacuum and pressure side, so we run the motor near full speed to keep it from sucking in too much air.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What do you mean by plenty of flow?
Normally the name of the game for those of us with VS pumps is to use as little RPM / energy as possible. I'd ignore that for cold spells and suck up a few bucks worth of full RPM throughout.

Reactions: Rodex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.