Equipment insights please. TDF, GPM, HP calculations to get water to solar on the roof?

AGP noob

Apr 8, 2021
dublin,ca
First, thanks to everyone here for your help and knowledge!

I have a 14 ft round ~4k gallon AGP and want to get Fafco solar on my roof. Inyopools.com says the AGP pumps they sell (ie. 1 or 1.5hp pumps) are too small to pump up to a single story roof (20 feet up) and I will need an "inground pool pump" and a pool contractor to come out and measure and spec out everything. I'm sure this is the "right" way to do it but also $$$$
Is it true some 1 or 1.5hp pumps might not be able to pump up to my roof?
I am anticipating on buying at least two 2x20 solar panels and possibly adding another one or two 2x20s later on if the first two arent enough. I am anticipating on hard plumbing ~100ft of total pipe and going up 20 vertical feet to the roof and back.
Do i need to be calculating TDF (total differential head) and the flow rates etc. of these pumps? I am hoping to get away with a 1HP pump if possibly so i dont overload my 15amp already used circuit but 1.5HP is fine.
Lastly, am I correct when saying, I need a pump strong enough to pump it up to my roof, but then this pump will be too strong to keep a slow enough flow rate for two 2x20 solar panels? It sounds like for two 2x20 solar panels at 5-7gpm each I should have a max flow of 14gpm going into the panels? How do you get your pump to hit that magic flow rate of 5-7gpm per panel for solar panels or prevent it from going too fast and damaging it?

Heres a couple of pumps/filters I am considering. I'd prefer a dual speed cartridge pump but am ok with saving alot of money for a sand filter/pump. Prefer 1HP if i can get away w/ it. Or if someone has recommendations thatd be great.

Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI, system flow rate of 1,900 gallons per hour Amazon.com : Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 2500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI, system flow rate of 1, 900 gallons per hour : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor

Last edited:
thanks for the rec
At $400 pricey pump but maybe i gotta do it. Kinda hesitant about all the reviews on that sand filter saying it splits after a few years.

Im confused about flow rates
Am I correct when saying, I need a pump strong enough to pump it up to my roof, but then this pump will be too strong to keep a slow enough flow rate for two 2x20 solar panels? It sounds like for two 2x20 solar panels at 5-7gpm (ideal flow rate) each I should have a max flow of 14gpm going into the panels? How do you get your pump to hit that magic flow rate of 5-7gpm per panel for solar panels or prevent it from going too fast and damaging it?

A VS pump would work perfect as you could get it almost exactly what you want.... But if you think that pump is expensive do not look at the VS pump link. My 2 speed Pentair was $580 and that was 8 years ago..

The problem your running into is you want quality equipment that will last and that costs more money up front.. I have had no issues at all with my Filter , pump and salt water generator but they cost me $2600 up front..

yea i have seen the VS and yes very pricey.
your right about quality.

I think I found answers to my flow rate questions below if anyone was curious

"A variable speed pump is the ideal solution to achieve proper flow, but valves can also be used to control flow rates. In most pools, allowing full flow through the panels is desirable unless you have a very powerful pump."

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.