Emergency!!! OIL SPILL. Need help STAT

I agree with the Pool Perfect approach but am confused with the 1st sentence of the starting post..... “trying to lower the pH from 100 to 70”. What does that mean?
Went to my local Leslie ‘s. I learned Leslie’s works directly with natural chemistry. She was stating natural chemistry labels the versions as a Leslie’s model, rate is the same exact thing. For instance, pool first aid is branded something like Leslie‘s clear but it’s the same natural chemistry model. They do not have “pool perfect.” They have the Leslie pool perfect plus phos free or whatever that model is.

I probably won’t go with that because I don’t think my pool has phosphates, I don’t even know what the contribution is that phosphates play, and before this my water has been spot on with the trouble free method. So, Don’t need something trying to take something out that isn’t there.

I’m gonna go back and get the Leslie pool first aid. Reading more about it last night it looks like that could work just as well or better to apply/clean along the waterline/tile as the pool perfect. Plan is just to add it directly to the pool but as James stated half the normal dose. Keep my fingers crossed that I don’t get a foamy pool. If it looks good, I’ll add the rest. See what it does and then add some to a bucket and clean that tile.

The one factor I don’t like here is that it states it helps to clean the filters. I don’t want that. As someone else has stated, I am just planning to toss my filters. I do not even wanna bother cleaning them. I want everything to get sucked up as much as possible and captured by and into tge filters and I don’t want to break down what is in the filters. So I’m very skeptical about using this pool first aid as it is purported to help break down the substance and clean filters. So then in essence I am cleaning the pool water and the tile line of the oil to be captured by the cartridge filters, but then those cartridge filters are going to be cleaned by the pool first aid. So where The heck is the byproduct going to be? It states it just breaks things down into their smaller molecules in essence to carbon dioxide and water. How the heck is it gonna break down vegetable oil from the cartridge filters and where is it going to go? It’s gonna go right back to the pool. So in essence this seems like an idiotic move because I’m going in circles. I’m breaking down and putting back the same thing I’m trying to get rid of.

i’m not sure if I’m over analyzing this. You shed some light on this post James?

Do you mean reacts with CYA? @JoyfulNoise pretty sure I read something about having it be copious amounts of the stuff to have any negative consequences.
Yes, I had read about the melamine and CYAYes, I had read about the melamine and CYA too last night.

this is after the fact I already went to Home Depot and bought a freaking garbage can worth of stuff.

Attachments

• 8A4863E0-46B1-4CDB-8142-0D14EAB060C3.jpeg
    8A4863E0-46B1-4CDB-8142-0D14EAB060C3.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 7
My heavy duty all purpose sponge idea didn’t work too well. The twins and I tossed 18 of them in the pool thinking that they would catch remaining oil but it looks like the tennis ball idea from the day before already got the bulk of it. I’ll take a loss on $23 and use them to scrub the tile.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 8
I would just add the Pool First Aid and scrub the tile with it.

Keep cleaning the filters as needed. Soak them in trisodium phosphate solution or toss them if they are saturated with oil. Use some filter fiber to help trap the oil. Hopefully, the enzyme will break down the oil into harmless molecules.

Maintain the other chemistry parameters at normal levels.

Maybe follow with a SLAM once you feel like the oil is gone or mostly gone.

Reactions: bbrock
38 oz Leslie’s Clear Aid (aka Natural Chemistry Pool 1st Aid) in.

put some on a sponge and scrubbed tile. Heck of a lot easier and less elbow grease needed vs straight scrubbing.

waiting to see if the full addition (38 oz for my 19k gallon) will help to loosen things up and make it easier to scrub versus applying full strength and scrubbing the tile.

Will monitor filter pressure and my FloVis.

so far at 2700 RPMs, solar on, I’m at 13 psi, 40 GPM.
I filters are:
Filbur FC-1275
Installed April 2015

those numbers I posted are spot on with what the numbers are after I clean my cartridges.

Reactions: JamesW
Update:
Dumped 19 oz of Leslie's Clean Aid (aka Natural Chemistry Pool 1st Aid) in pool 2 days ago. No adverse changes.
Dumped the remaining 19 oz for my 19k gal pool size. No adverse changes.
Waited couple of hours for chem to mix.
Got in pool and scrubbed tile using in this order: blue scrotchbrite, grout sponge, microfiber towel.
Worked from 1100-1730. Despite warmer water, got mildly hypothermic as evidenced from a drop in core temp from being immersed all day. Spa worked great for this.
8/27 Dumped in another 9 - 10 oz of Leslie's Clean Aid. End of day, noticed a scant amount of residual around skimmer. But, overall, non-existent.
No changes to filter pressure or flow on FloVis
Still running pump 24 hr and will continue another couple of days
Water chemistry no affected by the Leslie's Clean Aid.
Have been keeping level of FC at or under 5 for better efficacy of Leslie's Clean Aid, pure its instructions.
Threw back in my Maytronics S200 yesterday.
Swam away with the family yesterday evening.

To do:
Replace my 4 cartridge filters in Oct.
Will probably replace my Hayward VS pump seal as I already had it on hand and I could hear it beginning to make the slightest hint of a humming noise.

I'll post pics when I have some time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.