Elevated CH. When to drain.

pmahosky

Jun 2, 2021
Austin TX
Question - I am in a similar situation - hard water in the Austin area. I have a 1 year old pool that I am transitioning to a SWG. My CH is currently 500 and will continue to increase due to fill water. When do I need to either do a partial drain and fill (would look to do this with a service that can provide DI water) or a no drain exchange?

With a CH of 500, you still have plenty of wiggle room in your chemistry to manage your overall CSI (see PoolMath). While your hands may be tied with the CH and water temp, you have control over the pH and TA which is important to compensate for an elevated CH/CSI. There are TFP member who routinely manage their elevated CH of ~1000 so you should be able to as well. We've been in a dry spell in my area lately, and I don't have a cover to help reduce evaporation. But when the storms start rolling in, I'll lower my pool water level in advance and let the storms fill it up for free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.