Eating up a lot of chlorine

Hi guys -

Thanks in advance as this forum has been an incredibly valuable resource to me in the past.

My pool has been taking ~90+ fl oz LC (12.5%) some days recently as the summer heat gets on it. I've had to SLAM in the past and I'm concerned about the CYA getting so high that it's unmanageable. It's a vinyl pool and at the moment the CYA is (I guess?) around 37.

I had been trying to keep my LC between 5 and 7 based on this Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool and it's been fine but after some of these long, hot days, I come out and the FC is around 3, thus requiring a lot of LC. The CC is 0.

Should I up the CYA so that I'm not pouring almost a whole gallon of chlorine in there every day?

Thanks
Chris

FC (today) 3.75 - raised to 7 w/97 fl oz of LC 12.5%
pH 7.6
TAC 70
CH 750 (I think?)
CYA 37
CC 0

You've got a large pool so you'll be using a lot of LC. I have a 15,000 gallon pool and using around 60 to 70 ounces of 10% chlorine a day at a cya of 60. Though I'm in Arizona with full sun on the pool for about 9 hours.

Is 2 gallons/day LC normal for a 26,000 gallon pool? I ran out of my CYA Test chemical today. Best I can tell is it is low. Should I switch to trichlor tablets? The pool is not being used much, as I am not home but a day or two /week.

It is very hot and humid and my pool sees full sun. Thank You.

Last edited:
Is 2 gallons/day LC normal for a 26,000 gallon pool? I ran out of my CYA Test chemical today. Best I can tell is it is low. Should I switch to trichlor tablets? The pool is not being used much, as I am not home but a day or two /week.

It is very hot and humid and my pool sees full sun. Thank You.
If you're sure your CYA is low, then trichlor tabs will work for you. Just be sure to check when you get resupplied with CYA reagent, as it's harder to get CYA down than to get it up. I see you're in Denham Springs. I grew up in Baton Rouge. Your climate is nearly identical to ours in the Houston area (hot and humid most of the year; cool and humid the rest). We just added a SWCG very recently, but previously we used tabs in a floater in the spring to bring up the CYA, then switched to liquid chlorine once the CYA was at 40--although I was planning to go to 50 this year. The great chlorine scare of 2021 pushed me over the edge toward SWCG. Check back with me in three years, and I'll give my opinion on whether that was a smart move!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.