DYI pool painting?

Jordy319

Mar 25, 2021
Savannah GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hi guys! New member here and also new pool owner! Just bought a house with a 16x32 gunite pool with about 25 year old white plaster on it. The plaster is horribly stained and coming off in some small areas and needs to be resurfaced. We can not afford a new professional plaster job, so we are going to clean, repair and paint with an epoxy paint. My husband has worked construction for the last 20 years so he feels confident with how to do the repairs.
My question is how do we safely keep the pool completely empty for around 2 weeks to get the job done? I believe these is a hydrostatic valve in the main drain that continues to let some ground water up ( we have it almost completely drained as of today). Are we supposed to plug the valve?
I am worried to proceed as I have recently found out that there is a possibility the pool could float out of the ground.
I would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!

Attachments

• 97F48EBF-D63F-4220-A47B-DAB4AB3E6745.jpeg
    97F48EBF-D63F-4220-A47B-DAB4AB3E6745.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 28
Hey there, welcome!
Leave that hydrostatic valve OPEN!! Savannah surely has a high water table, and we do *not* want to float the pool out of the ground because of high water pressure underneath it. Your pool is like a boat.

We discourage people from painting their pools as the paints on the market these days only hold up for a couple of years at most. We even had one poster describe how he painted his pool and all the paint is washing off into the pool water as they swim. It actually can be a health hazard depending on the paint.

A basic white plaster finish is about the cheapest re-plaster job one can get. Can you use the pool as is while saving for it?

Maddie :flower:

Here in California (2019) a no-frills plain white plaster job with full chipout was quoted at $4950. This included new returns and safety main-drain cover.

Hey there, welcome!
Leave that hydrostatic valve OPEN!! Savannah surely has a high water table, and we do *not* want to float the pool out of the ground because of high water pressure underneath it. Your pool is like a boat.

We discourage people from painting their pools as the paints on the market these days only hold up for a couple of years at most. We even had one poster describe how he painted his pool and all the paint is washing off into the pool water as they swim. It actually can be a health hazard depending on the paint.

A basic white plaster finish is about the cheapest re-plaster job one can get. Can you use the pool as is while saving for it?

Maddie :flower:
Thank you for your response! Unfortunately we were quoted 16,500 for a new plaster job that’s why are going this route. But I am waiting to proceed until I find the safest way to keep the pool empty

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately we were quoted 16,500 for a new plaster job that’s why are going this route. But I am waiting to proceed until I find the safest way to keep the pool empty

for a reference, I’ve never read good reviews of the paint/epoxy thing. Make sure you do a lot of research and know what your getting into. Mine is in the same shape and since it’s just cosmetic right now, I’m leaving it alone until I save the cash to redo it.

Have you looked at Sider-crete, it is a DIY plaster that is applied almost exactly the same just by you :)

Last edited:
Have you looked at Sider-crete, it is a DIY plaster that is applied almost exactly the same just by you :)

I saw that and would be interested to learn more about long term durability. I’d be on it if I could get 5 years out of it.

Give them a call, I bet they have installs that would be willing to talk with you.. If it is plaster it should last 10 years "should" :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
for a reference, I’ve never read good reviews of the paint/epoxy thing. Make sure you do a lot of research and know what your getting into. Mine is in the same shape and since it’s just cosmetic right now, I’m leaving it alone until I save the cash to redo it.
Yeah I’m honestly starting to second guess the whole paint thing! I felt confident about it when we first started, I’ve even already bought the paint but I really don’t want to mess our pool up 😔

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.