Dry well pump

Jrep

May 27, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for adding me! My question is related to a dry well pump we have in our pool to get rid ground water under our pool, we currently have a temporary setup with a pump that requires adding water to it to get it started. Are there setups we can install to have this pump run after heavy rain where we don’t need to add water to it to start it? Dry run pumps I guess, or a system that would automatically start or can be remotely started?
Sorry if my explanation is vague but I am new to this pool thing and need all the help I can get.
Thank you

Attachments

• A84A55D6-4EDB-45EB-B3B4-F1B75706D2AD.jpeg
    A84A55D6-4EDB-45EB-B3B4-F1B75706D2AD.jpeg
    770 KB · Views: 24
It looks like you could install an injector pit with an ejector pump.
You would need to dig a hole app 36 to 48 inches deep, and run a electrical line to it for power.

It looks like you could install an injector pit with an ejector pump.
You would need to dig a hole app 36 to 48 inches deep, and run a electrical line to it for power.
Thank you for the reply! But I don’t think the pipe leading to the pump goes as deep as the well it may be angled up.

The depth of that pvc pipe should not matter.
You can cut an access hole for it in the pit at any level.
My son has one in his backyard.
It ties into some drain pipe and 18 inches deep.
His pit is only 30 inches deep

I do not believe the pit will solve the problem. It looks like you just need a check valve. Unless you run the pump dry, then a re-prime is necessary. How do you know when to run the pump and how do you know how long to run the pump for?

So you have no way of monitoring the groundwater level? That would mean you could be doing all this pumping for nothing correct? You would only need to pump if the water level around the pool is higher than the deep end.

When you do pump, Do you pump until there is no more water coming out of the pump or is it just for a certain amount of time and there's always water coming out of the pump?

So you have no way of monitoring the groundwater level? That would mean you could be doing all this pumping for nothing correct? You would only need to pump if the water level around the pool is higher than the deep end.

When you do pump, Do you pump until there is no more water coming out of the pump or is it just for a certain amount of time and there's always water coming out of the pump?
Correct, other than plugging the pump in after heavy rain I don’t know if there’s water under the pool... I just plugged it in and after the pump purged itself, a lot of water was being pumped out. And i pump until water stops coming out.

This is a pool bottom sump pit. They ran pipe they drilled hole in under the pool and filled with gravel then built pool on it. The pipe leading up needs a check valve to stay primed its too late now for that. Depends on where your pool deck is you may be able to adapt to a true sump pit. The right way to do this is to run the drain sideways under pool to a 10" standpipe and let it gravity drain there and then use a standard sump pump to pump water out with an automatic float setup the pipe cones out outside if the deck you may ne anle to put a pit right there and get close to bottom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is an old thread, but for anyone else that comes along, I bought one of these FluentPower sump pumps that has an integrated float switch. There's a manual/auto switch that you can remove to make it fully auto. It fits inside a 8" pipe. You probably should use a check valve at the pump to ensure it doesn't flow back and keep cycling, but it works fairly well for an unmanaged solution. Just make sure you check it a few times a season. I have had one fail on me. https://www.amazon.ca/Submersible-Automatic-Electric-Fittings-Connection/dp/B07D6MV1JC/

I have a 4" pipe T'd into the 8" about 12" underground. I use that to run out the electrical and 1" ejection pipe below the concrete decking and away from the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.