Drones!

If you take the camera off, how do you know which way is forward? :scratch:

Different color led lights on front and rear of the quad when viewing from the ground. Great for night flying.
Features like GPS and headless mode are cool but no substitute for basic flying skills. And when all else fails hit the return home button and watch it immediatly fly away and out of sight. :wave:

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizonarob
Back when I was in my mid to late teens, I used to tour around the states racing R/C cars, it was so much fun. So I have some knowledge of the R/C world, but never flew anything. (Well, unless off of jumps count.)
I like the idea of learning to fly a drone on a “hands on” approach, vs all the technology flying for me. (Reminds me of all the stupid stuff they put in cars now, so you don’t have to drive.) Once I get the hang of crashing into things, I’ll move up to the better ones. :goodjob:

Reactions: Oly
That isn't even in the list of drones we discussed.
Hubsan has a good make for a lower end drone... why is he selling it?

It's the old model I think lists for $160 on their website but people said he would take $100. I made a $110 offer and he took that. So I have 2 drones coming in. I'll keep this one for myself. I like that it has the screen builtin. I suspect he has a lot of them. Extra battery too!

The hubsan is comparable to the mjx bugs 5w discussed earlier. Lot of reviewers prefer the hubsan so i think you did good. Apparently video has greater stable range and a lot less laggy than the mjx. You give up the controllable (tilt) camera though.

OK so the Hubsan came in, I put in the battery, and it smoked itself into oblivion. I am sending it back. I also found more reviews on the Hubsan and apparently it is known for taking off into the great unknown never to be seen again. Meanwhile, the Potensic I got my friend is doing great. He is flying it every day and recently got it stuck in a tree for 2 days. It rained cats and dogs during that time but when he finally got it down, it fired right up and is still going strong. No damage at all with his several crashes. He is very happy with it and said it is the perfect trainer drone. He is going to use it for a few more months and then get a DJI drone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got mine too. Just practicing flying around my backyard, getting the feel of it. Flying backwards is a pain to learn.
I posted a video here last year of me flying one of mine backwards...
Under the maple tree - over the pool - between the trees on either side of the entrance to the pasture... etc.
I'll see if I can find it.

The pool has changed since then... I really need to get out there with the drone to get a shot of what it's like now, but it has been too dang hot!
New pool, new deck.... etc.
I'll try to do it before I end up closing it for the season.

I did not expect the recovery to be successful.

I am looking for a new drone for my 10 year old son.

We have had one of the cheapo ones for a few years and after several crashes and a few wire repairs it is now pretty hard to fly. I am looking for something that can stay hovering, has decent video - and is cheap!

So I looked over the various links you guys posted - what about the two linked below?

This one is $139...
Amazon.com: Drones with Camera and GPS – B2C Specter MJX Bugs 2 1080p Drones for Adults or Teens, Brushless GPS Drone with Return Home Function and Extra Battery: Toys & Games

Or for a little bit more money:

I like Mavic Pro for 800, I would say landing on a boat is difficult. Ive had to catch midair. If it looks bad you can cancel landing and steer manual not that hard. I get nervous mapping at 30 feet

Reactions: Oly

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.