Draining a fiberglass pool after a heavy rain when more rain is expected

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
How risky is it to drain 2-3 inches of water out of a fiberglass pool backfilled with sand if more rain is expected late this afternoon, tonight and throughout the day tomorrow? It looks like we got 4-5 inches of rain last night and I worry that the pool will overflow if we don’t drain 2-3 inches out since more rain is expected. The cantilever coping above the tile line is cracking significantly in all 4 corners due to settlement so I’d like to drain 2-3 inches out to prevent water from getting into those cracks and prevent the water from overflowing if it would be safe to do so. Pool is equipment is downhill from the pool which apparently makes draining water a bit safer but I’ve never drained 2-3 inches off before more rain is expected. If it would be safer to drain water with a submersible pump and direct the water further away from the pool equipment and pool, I could possibly do that. I’m not worried about the pool turning green since I can clear it up afterwards. I’m just worried about the pool overflowing and keeping water out of the cracks in the cantilever coping so the cracks don’t get worse. After seeing pictures of popped pools, I am always reluctant to drain water out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Ba !!!! The popped pools you saw drained 3 to 6 *feet*. 3 to 6 inches is no problemo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.