Gold Supporter
Jun 29, 2016
El Paso, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys not sure if I am on the right area but here it goes.

I decided to drain the pool because our calcium was 725, and the CYA wouldnt even register on the tfkit.

My questions are as follow

How do I know when I need to replaster pool? I dont have any cracks just discoloration all over and its rough on the feet.

Anyhow we drained pool, and i was going to brush the whole thing with muriatic acid, is this ok?

I have this stain, and i cant figure out what it is?!!

b33891c037fa7c56f821089324d90a96.jpg

3879a2bd685e560d2214c7788b34390c.jpg

Here are some pics of plaster

a9f37fa3adbeb4ffefb8b4b17c0f3124.jpg
ef6cdcdecbf06dcaeaaff395a10e068c.jpg
d1192b24d6d5872dd825b11fe750e49f.jpg

Lastly i used a pump to drain the water, i was wondering if this was for draining also, i don't know how it works?!
e809920e296d1708be5f23fdfc029b94.jpg

Sorry for all the noob qs and thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in el paso texas i dont know what a high table is? The pool is drained already.

It was done in 1987 and no idea what it brand it would be? We bought home in 2006!

My pool was built in 1986 and has had two replacement surfaces; original plaster, first resurface fiberglass, and we installed pebble sheen after buying the house. It looks like a exposed pebble surface to me. If I had to guess the stains are copper (maybe from algecide?), but I will defer to the experts here.

When they drained my pool, they pulled the hydrostatic plug out of the main drain and two feet of ground water was left when they shut their pump off. I wouldn't drain it myself without pulling the hydrostatic plug considering how high the water table is here.

I live in el paso texas i dont know what a high table is? The pool is drained already.

It was done in 1987 and no idea what it brand it would be? We bought home in 2006!

Yes, it needs to be replastered or refinished with Aquabright shown in his link. I think his point was that an acid wash isn't going to make it better. You don't have to replaster now if you don't want to. As long as the pool isn't leaking it is fine to refill it and live with it for a while.

Vit C will remove the rust stain from the rebar. Dig around there with a screwdriver to see if you can expose a hole and fill it with pool putty.

There are some epoxy repair kits that can seal off the rebar from more rusting. May get you a few more years if the remainder looks passable.

I expect the "roughness" is calcium deposits. What does your CSI calculation [see pool math] look like? Long exposure to positive CSI can tend to deposit "sandpaper" like calcium. I had about a 40-grit sandpaper roughness before I did the aquabrite; for just this reason [years of positive CSI that I didn't know about--thanks TFP!].

Aquabrite is really nice [I got it last fall [thanks Brian!]; I prefer it over plaster for many reasons.

1) Durable
2) Looks good
3) Feels good--Not too slippery, not too rough [and this can be tweaked on application]
4) Inert

And I like the inert part more than I would have thought. I have not added anything to my pool in at least 6 weeks. All I've done is checked the levels, and they are sticking tightly to where I like them. I have an auto MA doser, and it has been set to 5%. I've use about 1.5 gallons in 3 months. Granted it is winter, so this is not that hard; still, remarkably stable and minimal MA use.

My neighbors and guests are envious and are thinking about doing the same [since they have older plaster too].

There are some epoxy repair kits that can seal off the rebar from more rusting. May get you a few more years if the remainder looks passable.

I expect the "roughness" is calcium deposits. What does your CSI calculation [see pool math] look like? Long exposure to positive CSI can tend to deposit "sandpaper" like calcium. I had about a 40-grit sandpaper roughness before I did the aquabrite; for just this reason [years of positive CSI that I didn't know about--thanks TFP!].

Aquabrite is really nice [I got it last fall [thanks Brian!]; I prefer it over plaster for many reasons.

1) Durable
2) Looks good
3) Feels good--Not too slippery, not too rough [and this can be tweaked on application]
4) Inert

And I like the inert part more than I would have thought. I have not added anything to my pool in at least 6 weeks. All I've done is checked the levels, and they are sticking tightly to where I like them. I have an auto MA doser, and it has been set to 5%. I've use about 1.5 gallons in 3 months. Granted it is winter, so this is not that hard; still, remarkably stable and minimal MA use.

My neighbors and guests are envious and are thinking about doing the same [since they have older plaster too].

Ok i will look into that! Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:goodjob:

I've come across several of these rust spots in my dealings and I'm always surprised at how close the rebar is to the surface.

As the others have mentioned, there really isn't a fix that will not be invasive.

Does anyone know how much aquabrite will run me? Is this something i can spray myself, or i must hire a pro? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.