Long Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So I just had pavers done around my pool, and a lot of everything basically got inside the pool water because they needed the cover off to do all the work. Pool water looks terrible, not sure if I should just drain and refill. I just worry about the liner if I do that. (Also heard it’s not really good to drain your pool?) Liner is only one year old so it’s fairly new.

other option is I try to fix the water with chemicals but I feel it might be to far gone?

what do you guys think

thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• F423D16F-8BA9-4971-B0F5-7FDD020D6C4B.jpeg
    F423D16F-8BA9-4971-B0F5-7FDD020D6C4B.jpeg
    730.8 KB · Views: 41
You can drain safely using the tarp method. I've done it and it worked really well. Get a tarp that's large enough to line your pool and still have some overhang. Lay it on the water. Pump water out from underneath the tarp while filling with a hose on top of the tarp. I used 2 hoses because my pump removed water more quickly than it came in through the hose but you could also turn off the pump periodically to let it catch up. There is no tension on the tarp as it will float on the water.
I did this right after my pool was built because they were so sloppy during the install it was filled with a wheelbarrow full of rock at least (they shot fill in across the pool the uncovered with a stone slinger) and filled it with brown non potable water from a water truck....

Reactions: ForceEdge
Okay I will try with DE once I get it opened.

Do you guys think I could drain it if I wanted to go that route? Even without the tarp method? Considering my liner is only a year old? Only reason I ask is because I really want to wash and clean the entire Liner and get all the sand and everything out. Don’t know how I’d do that with the tarp method. Maybe I could drain half way?

I just feel like there’s so many sediments in the pool. Concrete, poly sand, dirt, algae and who knows what else

Okay I will try with DE once I get it opened.

Do you guys think I could drain it if I wanted to go that route? Even without the tarp method? Considering my liner is only a year old?. Only reason I ask is because I really want to wash and clean the entire Liner and get all the sand and everything out. Don’t know how I’d do that with the tarp method.

I just feel like there’s so many sediments in the pool. Concrete, poly sand, dirt, algae and who knows what else
It is likely too risky to try. Professionals can do it by putting up internal support beams so it doesn't cave in. It depends on the water content in the ground surrounding your pool. I wouldn't risk it.
For heavy sediment a pool vacuum should work.

I would highly recommend that you refrain from draining this pool. The damage you could cause can be a very expensive whooping :whip: AND if you destroyed that liner, you may not be swimming this year.

You want to clean it like the rest of us would clean a vinyl liner pool. Get a leaf rake and start dredging the bottom of the pool for debris. You're going to do this blindly. Start at shallow end on one side of the pool and let the rake bag (attached to the telescopic pole) sink to the bottom of the pool at other end and pull it toward you. Do this the whole length of the pool. When you get that done n think you got it all, start the pump and filter. I'm telling you right now to make sure you have time to babysit the filter. You're going to need at least 1 25lb bag of DE on hand and another for back up. Have all your liquid chlorine ready to go and a TF100. Adjust your pH to 7.2 and check the CYA and get to SLAMMING IT.

Any questions? Ask here.

Reactions: cowboycasey
You can easily drain any liner pool so 12” of water remains in the shallow end. I’ve done it countless times for clients with nasty green pools. Remove all organic material. Fill, mix, drain , fill again and 2 gallons of chlorine gets them sparkly clean.

How far are you from the lake? The main concern with draining a vinyl liner pool is ground water causing the liner to float. If you don't know how high the water table is, you risk floating the liner. You can vacuum the pool to waste and replace water as you go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.