Drain and Fill Question

Oct 6, 2018
Bay City, MI
I’m getting ready to do my first Ahhsome purge/drain and fill. Any pointers anyone has for this is the first time doing this process for me. I’ve seen a lot of posts with many different ideas like using a shop vac to vacuum the dirty foam or doing the purge/ draining then refilling running it for a while then draining it again. What about the shell? Do you use some sort of cleaner or just wipe it dry? Just looking for some good advice. Thank you in advance.

I have a wire strainer to scoop out the colored foam and a roll of paper towels to clean the waterline as the jets work. When I finally drain I wipe down the insides and spray with fresh water until done. Have fun.

I use a hose with a jet attachment to rinse the tub as it drains. I've found this keeps it from sticking. I also squirt down the intake to rinse that line. I also squirt into the jets to rinse those. I use a sump pump with a 1.5" hose which empties it quick. I don't have a drain so I use a shop vac to get the last of the water out.

I just did my first purge and drain last week. Here's how I did it:
  • Remove headrests before the purge so they don't get the gunk on them.
  • I ran my jets for 30 minutes; once they turned off I immediately started draining with a garden hose attached to the drain plug and run to the gutter in front of my house.
  • As the water drained I wiped the gunk off the sides of the tub w/a water/bleach solution.
  • I pulled out all the jets as the water drained and soaked them in the same solution, then hosed them off w/a pressure nozzle.
  • I would recommend getting something to pump the remaining water out of the bottom of the tub. I emptied mine w/a big sponge and that was a pain!
  • Once the tub was emptied and wiped down, I sprayed down the sides and sprayed into the nozzles and the filter holes to try to flush out the plumbing.
  • Finally, I emptied out all the water that accumulated from the spray down.
Draining the tub through the plumbing took forever and made the job harder because it left scum all over the sides of the tub as the water level dropped, which sometimes hardened before I could get to it. I have read that an electric pump placed in the bottom of the tub will drain it faster and more completely so I plan to invest in one of those for my next drain. I also don't have full confidence that I really got the plumbing clean but I don't know how you do that - you can't see it, and it's not really designed for a complete purge so I feel like there will always be some stuff left in the pipes. But so far (after 5 days) my water looks great, and I haven't seen anything nasty coming out of the jets, so hopefully I did a good enough job to avoid any problems.

Hope this helps - please share any lessons you learn so I can learn from your experience! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.