Don't laugh: water features during freezes

shingles

Bronze Supporter
Jun 12, 2017
Houston, TX
Don't laugh because I am in Houston... those in real cold weather climates might be like "freeze, what do you know about freezes"... :)

So, if you have water falls and other water features, if one is to run the pump over night to prevent freeze issues, I assume I should go ahead and run the water features as well just so there's water circulation?

Thanks!
-S

Agreed. The valves are for sure above ground along with the associated piping. Run any and all features during a potential freeze event. I just opened mine last night in preparation for what is to come tonight.

In the greater Houston area, unless a prolonged hard freeze is expected just running the pump overnight when the air temps are below freezing is sufficient. Odds are your water temp is still in the 50-60 range, which will also prevent pipes from freezing. Our frost line is only about 6" deep so it is where the pipes come out of the ground at the equipment pad that you need to worry about. You can wrap them like you would wrap the pipes outside your house, and throw a blanket over the equipment pad like you would for your tender plants.

Luckily looks like the default on my Omnilogic has the freeze protection enabled. It kicks on at 35F. Probably want to lower that to 32 or 33 though.

My only concern are the flex hoses and fittings for my weeping rocks as they are above grade.

So last night I step outside in the backyard to check out the snow effects on the pool and everything is running! Waterfall, fountains, everything! I check my controller and sure enuff the freeze control had automatically turned on and started running in freeze protection mode....Nice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.