Dolphin getting stuck

I also recently started having this issue. The robot worked fine (including never got stuck) for 4-5 months.

Maytronics, somewhere on their website, says this is usually due to poor water flow through the robot's filters. Which makes sense, since less flow = less suction = less traction. They suggest soaking your filters overnight, even mesh filters which may look clean to the eye but might have organic buildup. I have not done this yet, but plan to soak the Z5 filters overnight in (dishwasher powder solution) Cascade soon. One cup per 5 gal water is what has been recommended for main pool filters on TFP. I did this with my main filters, and the greasy stuff came right off. I will report back with results.

If that does not work, make sure the impeller spins freely (no hair around the shaft, etc.).

If that does not work, I will replace the brushes next. They have the foam ring which is needed for climbing walls.

With a one-year-old somewhat neglected robot, I am willing to bet restricted water flow is the culprit.

Please keep me posted. I've ordered 4 of these maindrainclipon.com clips but can't see myself going into 58F degree water to attach them. I've got time to do the overnight soak if needed [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it's nearly impossible to place these main drain clips with their telescoping pool adapter in the deep end of a pool. And my water is still too cold to swim down to set them by hand. Inevitably I'll need 4 clips. 2 drains x 2 clips each in a plus (+) pattern. One clip per drain was not enough to keep my Dolphin Z5 from getting stuck on the drains even with the pump off. Exhausting alright.

Will do. Also edited post to check the impeller, additional advice from Maytronics website.

Mark, not sure whether you've tried this (soaking filters in dishwasher detergent), but I recently tried soaking my fine filters in a bucket of mild dish soap and it did wonders!

I was going crazy with constantly having to pull my Z5 off the main drains. Even considered replacing my barely-used cleaner. Was afraid I'd damage the cord, constantly using it to pull cleaner off drain...

Since soaking filters, it is yet to get stuck and difference is night and day!

I was going crazy with constantly having to pull my Z5 off the main drains. Even considered replacing my barely-used cleaner. Was afraid I'd damage the cord, constantly using it to pull cleaner off drain...

If mine gets stuck, I just use the telescoping pole to gently shove it off the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Mark, not sure whether you've tried this (soaking filters in dishwasher detergent), but I recently tried soaking my fine filters in a bucket of mild dish soap and it did wonders!

Since soaking filters, it is yet to get stuck and difference is night and day!

Awesome! This is big news for me. And no, I have not tried it yet, spring chores have had me pretty busy. But I am sure to now. TY

Definitely use the powder dishwasher detergent vs dish soap. Have to believe it will work even better. I may try to do this once a week. Let me know your experience.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Definitely use the powder dishwasher detergent vs dish soap. Have to believe it will work even better. I may try to do this once a week. Let me know your experience.

Results so far -
I soaked my mesh filters in a strong Cascade solution overnight, more than 12 hours. Reinstalled, turned robot on, robot made a beeline for the drain and immediately got stuck. Hmm.

Next, installed the pleated paper filters (never used before). Robot got stuck. Hmm.

Removed impeller cover. Turns out there was a bit of black foam partially blocking the exhaust port. Removed that. Removed impeller, saw that a bit of hair was wrapped around the impeller shaft. Removed that. Reassembled, turned it on, robot got stuck on drain. Hmm.

Removed side covers to see if there was a pool toy or stick or something interfering with the tread drive. All clear. BUT, there is a bearing (plastic concentric rings with ball bearings inside) on each side between the drive shaft and the gear that drives the treads, and one of mine was pretty rusted and no longer concentric. Not what you want in a bearing. The other side was nice and shiny. Just ordered a new bearing for $20. Will report back.

Interesting. I've not gone through these steps, but will be anxious to hear your results. Yes, it would appear cleaning the filters is ineffective after all. Mine back to get stuck consistently making my Z5 more manual than automatic at this point. Am beyond frustrated for the cost of the unit.

Thanks, I have never "deep cleaned" my filters. I did this on Friday and had to change the water three times in the first hour. I cannot believe how much stuff came out and I thought I cleaned my filters well each time I use my robot.

Spoke too soon. My Dolphin getting consistently stuck. Period. We finally got to swim today and I had an opportunity to install these. They are completely ineffective.

Main Drain Clip-On - Pool Maintenance Simplified

Watched the Dolphin simply climb up on them, balanced itself on top of the main drain and never again gain traction stuck.

What other options are there?

I spoke to Maytronics. They are sending their modified exhaust port. I also asked about the 3rd party devices. They told me about the "Polaris Unicover" and the "Smartpool Smart-Ring." I do not know if these are the right size or if there are different sizes, but I found those two products pretty easily. I think I will wait for their "fix," and take a closer look at these if that does not do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Unicover-AV-Main-Drains/dp/B002WKS7Z6

http://www.smartpool.com/website/Products/tabid/89/ProdID/25/Language/en-US/SmartRing.aspx

So...has anyone tried either of these "drain cover extenders"? Sounds like a lot of us are frustrated our robots climb on top of the main drains and spin around in circles (which is a total waste of the robot's time...luckily our Maytronics DX4 has a swivel power cord!).

So...has anyone tried either of these "drain cover extenders"? Sounds like a lot of us are frustrated our robots climb on top of the main drains and spin around in circles (which is a total waste of the robot's time...luckily our Maytronics DX4 has a swivel power cord!).

I purchased/installed two of the Unilevers or Unicovers or whatever they are called. I do not recommend. They are an eyesore, and easily get knocked off or vacuumed out of place. Biggest prob is they are ugly. If in place, they work. But these are band-aids in my opinion, not the real solution. This weekend, I took delivery of a bottle of Filbur real pool filter cleaner, AND a new rust-free Maytronics tread bearing/pulley, AND a set of 4 new Maytronic tread foam rings. The Maytronics are parts no. 18 and 29 in the following link:

https://www.marinapoolspaandpatio.com/node/3310

I will try one at a time and report back, starting with the Filbur. Happy Easter!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.