Dolphin cleaner unresponsive

My cleaner worked fine one day and not a few days later.

I tested the power supply with a multi meter and it appeared to be reading about 28 volts. So there is power of some sort getting through but I believe this does not guarantee that the power supply is good.

How can I do some diagnostics on this thing to figure out what I need to replace? I am good at fixing things but really do not know how to diagnose the robot. Seems it either has to be the power supply, the control box inside the robot, or the cable. The cable will be easy to test but I am unsure about the other two.

Also, how old is your robot? Maybe it’s still under warranty.
My Dolphin M500 just stopped working (won’t turn on) yesterday and it’s only 2 yrs old, but fortunately still under warranty. Since I bought it through the pool builder, I was told I had to go through them for service. They came and picked it up today.
What exactly is wrong with yours?

What Dolphin model specifically do you have? What is it doing or not doing?

It's not doing anything. At all. The power supply appears to function as normal (assuming the output is good) but the robot is motionless. No noise or movement.

As far as the warranty, I bought it about 3 years ago. I bought it off amazon which I believe means they will not honor a warranty.

It's not doing anything. At all. The power supply appears to function as normal (assuming the output is good) but the robot is motionless. No noise or movement.

As far as the warranty, I bought it about 3 years ago. I bought it off amazon which I believe means they will not honor a warranty.

Could be any number of things honestly. If the power supply puts out voltage that's a good sign but there are PCBs in the power supply that talk to PCBs in the motor that could cause it to not run if they are shot. If the cable is faulty, trimming it is easy enough if you have the right tools, otherwise it's basically impossible and you have to change the cable.

My next step would be ensuring the cable has continuity. Disconnect it from the motor box, plug it into the power supply and see if you get any voltage at the end that plugs into the motor.

I figured out the problem was the swivel so I took it apart. One of the spring loaded pins wasn't returning as high as it should. After messing with it there was no improvement, so I cut a U shaped washer out of aluminum to slip over the other end and space the contacts closer together. Back in action!

If it's of interest to you, you can replace just that one half of the swivel. Depending if it's a 2 pin or 3 pin the part number is 9995820 (2 pin) or 9995821 (3 pin). You'd also need a cable connection kit and the proper tools to install, which a service center should have. I suggest doing so because if the pins aren't extending fully they likely are starting to corrode from water being able to enter the swivel.

That seems to be a part number for a 5 pack. I found 9995807-ASSY for the single QTY. And 9991279 for the connector. I have the crimpers to do the open barrel crimps, so it would be about $55. I might just wait to see if anything else goes wrong before replacing it as all it currently well with it. The thing has been in the pool since I got it like 3 years ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.