Doing things backwards as always! New salt water AGP, just filled and don't know where to go from here!?

You shouldn't use dry acid with SWG, the sulfates do not react well with the cell. Did you verify your PH level and target of PH/7.4 with Poolmath? Muriatic acid is preferred when lowering PH.

I did, no more dry acid in the future!

Is the level showing on the unit? It needs to be at least 3000 but not over 4000 according to the Intex manual online...

I haven't turned on the chlorinator yet, pool math says add 21lbs of salt, I will be adding it today.

The CYA (conditioner/stabilizer) should be put in a sock and suspended in the water, preferably in front of a return (pump should be running for any/all chemical additions)
Yes the chlorine in the water is deteriorated by any UV light (sunlight)

I have the liquid conditioner (natural chemistry 35% monosodium cyanurate monohydrate) or htn Stabilizer pods (one pod per 5,000gal)

Do you have the tests for accurate CYA and chlorine levels? (FAS-DPD chlorine test and Cyanuric Acid test)
I have a K2006 test kit

I did, no more dry acid in the future!
good to hear! (y)
I haven't turned on the chlorinator yet, pool math says add 21lbs of salt, I will be adding it today.
Perfect, I think it's preferred to allow salt to circulate for at least 24hrs before turning on the SWG.

I have the liquid conditioner (natural chemistry 35% monosodium cyanurate monohydrate) or htn Stabilizer pods (one pod per 5,000gal)
Use PoolMath to dose the right amount. I've seen a few people that are experiencing higher levels of CYA when using the Pods, you have a SWG, but I wouldn't target more than CYA/40 to start. Use th pods first and then fine tune with the liquid (that would be my suggestion)

I have a K2006 test kit
Great!

Reactions: mikeems911
How are you testing for salt? I didn't see you ran a initial salt test to see how much is in the pool initially..

Isn't this fun.. getting a crash course in pool chemistry, at the same time you are trying to get it installed, at same time the whole family is breathing down your neck to get in!;)

I didnt get an initial test. My assumption was that there wasn't any salt in the tap water. Owners manual said for my pool, it needed 210lbs of salt.
I then had Leslie's test the water and got a reading of 2700ish, and again 2800ish.
Pool math said to add 21lbs of salt, i listened!

New levels for today...
FC 5.48
CC 5.67
pH 7.5
TA 77
CYA 34
Salt 3026
I know I need to add CYA today, I will reference the pool math.
Do I need to increase my TA?
Until I get my CYA straightened out i can't figure out how long to run my chlorinator? Currently I'm running it for 7 hours.
Do I run the filter after/before the chlorinator, or is the length of the chlorinator good for filtration as well?
Getting there!

No.. you will see an adjustment in the TA when you had CYA... TA is usually the last thing to worry about.. if you worry about it at all. It will follow adjustments you make to the pH. So just let it ride for now. (do you like that gambling reference ;))

Not sure how you have things wired up. Usually the SWG and filter run at the same time. and you adjust the percentage and run time to find the sweet spot. I like to find the runtime in normal conditions where I can set the SWG at 50% for my daily FC needs. Then I have some wiggle room to turn it up or down based on the conditions (heat, bathers, parties etc)

You want the pump to run at least 30 min before & after the swg & during of course 😉 If it is an intex newer model don’t add anymore salt ! They like it about 2800-2900 max - i just saw this thread or I would have warned u sooner 😢 if it throws the high salt alarm you will have to replace a little water until its happy.
As for swg run time you’ll have to play with it to find what keeps you @ upper target for your cya.
Which changes throughout the season
- spring& fall/less sun = lower run times/less cya
- dog days of summer = higher run times/more cya
As with any swg they are designed to maintain your fc within limits not to bring it up from 0ppm . So if you have a party or large bather load supplement with liquid chlorine.
right now your cya is 40 there’s no in betweens so your target is 7 while you’re figuring things out - get 20 more ppm cya in there & check again in a couple days

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My SWG doesnt have a setting for %? It just has an option for how many hours i can run it.
How long should i run the pump?

I have a intex ECO15110-2, it doesnt have a setting for percentage that I can find in the manual?
My SWG doesnt have a setting for %? It just has an option for how many hours i can run it.
How long should i run the pump?
I found this in the manual:
Intex Manual said:
4. To stop the chlorinator, unlock the keypad controls, and reset the hour to “00”.
The pump should run for at least 30min, but preferably an hour after adding the last chemicals.

I have had the chlorinator running, my issue is, with all the posts about "running at 50%" or "running at 25%" I was wondering if my SWG had those options as well.
I guess it doesn't and I just have the ability to choose how long it runs for.
I currently am running it for 12 hrs/day. Will check my chems after work today.

Definitely swimmable! 🏊‍♂️
if you get your cya up to about 60-70 the chlorine should hold a bit better & you probably wont have to run it as long.
Intex swg’s only have hours settings. (Aka they produce a finite amount of chlorine per hour) Boost just runs it for extra hours

Screenshot_20200630-091908.jpg
After several days of swimming with several people. I ran out of CYA reagent and the FC reading was low, so i brought some water to Leslie's and this is what I got?
Pool math recommendation for FC is 8!? Is that because my CYA is 65?

View attachment 150143
After several days of swimming with several people. I ran out of CYA reagent and the FC reading was low, so i brought some water to Leslie's and this is what I got?
Pool math recommendation for FC is 8!? Is that because my CYA is 65?
It contradicts the CYA/FC chart?

It contradicts the CYA/FC chart?
It lines up exactly with the chart, for a non-SWCG pool. You have to round up CYA as the test only reads 10ppm. The value on the chart you would have to follow with that level is for CYA 70. At that level the chart shows a Minimum of 5, a target of 8-10, which matches what pool math is showing you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.