Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Came close pulling the trigger on a Dolphin Nautilus Plus this week and then started reading this thread and considering the Discovery. Tough decision, I really like the large basket in this cleaner (Plus has two smaller cartridges), however I like the swivel cord on the Plus. Also like the fact that if I buy the Plus on Amazon I can extend the warranty up to 5/6 years. Credit-card I'll purchase with will extend warranty 1 yr so I'd have a 3 yr warranty on the Discovery. Other than these items they seem very similar. Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance!

I can post a glowing review from my friend (he services pools on a weekly or bi weekly basis) for a living. Since we are first time pool owners we had him coming on a bi weekly basis. After 3 services he told me it doesnt make much sense to pay him to come out because the robot cleaner and salt cell are doing a great job. Really nothing for him to do when he comes. So we stopped the service. It really does clean the pool that good! Only spots it doesnt get real good are in tight corners or steps. It climbs up onto our swim out and does go up the steps but its nose up so it doesnt scrub and clean the steps perfect but thats no big deal. a 10 second brush on the steps then start the cleaner and walk away. Does a great job!

Well, after a lot of lurking on the site and reading all 40 pages about this bot we pulled the trigger and bought the Discovery. We ran it through two cycles today in between some nasty/windy storms. There was a lot of leafs and silty sand in the pool. After skimming some of the leafs we started the second cycle just to test the bot out. It did a great job! We were amazed at how much was in the filters. I haven't tried the pleated ones yet, but after seeing how much fine sand it picked up I am not sure I need to put them in yet.

One question, is the caddy worth getting?

Thanks to everyone on here who shares their wealth of knowledge.

No caddy for me, it would be more trouble than it's worth. It is easier for me to carry it into the pool hut than it is to wheel it in there. Just store it on some 2x4s or its side to lift it off the tracks and brushes.

If you look at my signature there's a link to my S300i purchase. In it, I show pictures of the fine silt that the pleated filters are able to capture. You should give them a try and see what they pickup for you.

I agree with Danny that the usefulness and value of the caddy depends on your circumstance. I have the caddy and I love it. It keeps all the cords organized and gives you a place to easily store everything and wheel it around. I have all concrete pathways from my back porch to my pool and so using the caddy to wheel the unit around saves my back the trouble of hauling the unit poolside.

I found a refurbished Dolphin Premium for $700 (with a one year warranty and no caddy) on poolpartz.com. Would ya'll recommend going with that, or with the Doheny's Discovery for $650 (2 year warranty)? I don't know how much to trust a refurbished pool robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found a refurbished Dolphin Premium for $700 (with a one year warranty and no caddy) on poolpartz.com. Would ya'll recommend going with that, or with the Doheny's Discovery for $650 (2 year warranty)? I don't know how much to trust a refurbished pool robot.

A couple of points:

Pool Partz says this is the same as the Active 30i and s300i. Which is so, Premium has more features than Discovery. For instance, a dual level filter that nests like on the 30i and 300i. Many more cleaning options like on 30i and 300i.

This came up before, and I think that Premium is sold in Canada. Not that it will be a problem, I would think repairs would be the same on Premier as 300i or 30i, or similar to Discovery.
Maytronics Dolphin Premium Robotic Pool Cleaner - Feature Overview Video - YouTube

Yeah, but you can also buy the caddy separately for $100. So I suppose the real question is if the difference between an s300 and an s300i is worth losing a year of warranty. I might change my mind later, but as of right now, I don't really feel the need to get a caddy. So I'm really just between the Discovery for $650 and the Premium for $700.

If they were both new, of course I'd go with the latter. Unfortunately, it's not and I've had bad luck in the past with refurbished products, so I was looking to see if anyone had experience with poolpartz.

I'm new hear so go easy on me...but I read the majority of this thread. I know everyone is recommending the Discovery/S200/A20.

I just have a couple quick questions before I pull the trigger...

1) If I jump up to the S300i/A30i...I have read the differences and the only one that I want that the lower model don't have is the waterline tile focus mode. Is this mode worth the extra money?

2) Can someone repost the model line ups that are the same? Am I right here? Just so I can search for the best price
- Discovery/S200/A20/Triton
- S300i/A20i/Triton Plus

3) Anyone have current pricing from Marina Pools?
- Active 20
- S200
- Active 30i
- S300i

Thank you!

The S300i has a bunch more features than than the S200 model -

Integrated filter basket
Caddy
Bluetooth phone app control
Ultra clean mode
Floor only mode
Tile line only mode
Fast mode
Advanced weekly scheduling

How often do you find yourself using these features?

I use the caddy and phone app all the time. I use the remote control drive to bring the robot to me when I pull it up. I use Floor-only mode at least twice per week (and you can only set that through the phone app). I use the advanced scheduling when I go on vacation (about twice during the swim season). I've not used Ultra mode because I've never had to clean up a lot of leaves. I have used Fast mode once when I needed a quick clean before a pool party.

Not every feature is absolutely necessary and some may go unused but I like having the option available if need be...

Also, for me, the caddy is a must have for proper storage and hauling the bot around. Also, I use the fine filtration pleated filter inserts all the time so having the integrated filter basket where the coarse screen keeps leaves and larger items from plugging up the Ultra fine filter is a must have or else there would be a performance hit to the robots pump speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.