Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Re: Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

08f833fa46fc23a76bdc7589fafa4180.jpg

Some have asked for pics of the caddy best suitable for the Discovery. I believe this is the same one that Titan7 has. It is the same caddy for the S series. Available on sunplay.com

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Had a pretty good rain storm and high winds here last night, as a result my pool was full of leaves. Should've taken a picture of before. Here is the basket of leaves after a two hour run. As you can see it picked up a lot of leaves, pretty decent sized as well. I think it did a good job. I do have one word of advice though. I used my leaf net to remove floating leaves and then I waded into the pool to go ahead and try to pick some up off bottom in the curves and corners where the robot would not go. While I was in deep concentration looking for leaves, that robot ran into the back of my leg and I learned I could do a vertical 3 foot jump in the water. So my advice is pay attention to where the robot is if you're in the pool because it will scare you to death![emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5b751ad78875da6485abc79b9fb3d7db.jpg

I like my Discovery so much I had to talk more about him.

I've been holding out for a great robot for a long time. My Pentair Legend pressure cleaner did an OK job the first few years. But, admittedly, we have LOT of trees and asked a lot of it. It started acting up, getting stuck a lot, falling over, going in circles, etc. I messed with it some and it got better but not for long. Then one day last fall it annoyed me one time too many and got some algae inside it so it got tossed into the yard. Then it got hailed on this spring. Poor fella! So, I went all fall, winter, spring and summer with no pool cleanere. I brushed weekly most weeks and definitely every two weeks and scooped leaves regularly as usual. It went OK with no cleaner. More work but less annoyance fiddling with the cleaner.

So, I've been reading all the robot threads with interest. But not wanting to spend 800, 1000 or more bucks on a cleaner. And I wanted an easy to clean top load large basket and it had to brush my pool for me cuz I'm busy and a little lazy, especially when it is pool time. Then along came the Doheny Discovery, basically the same as the Maytronics S200. And it went on sale for 650 bucks. Sold!

I've had it for a week or so. I have mostly run it every other day on its 2 hour cycle. I love it. The pool is visibly cleaner. The basket is very easy to clean, it really takes less than 30 seconds to hose it out even when it is jammed full of junk. Today it did a great job of cleaning up after some storms and a cold front blew through and dumped a bunch of leaves and tree junk on the solar cover which was then dumped in the pool. I really thought I would need to run two cycles to clean the pool. Nope, all clean after one cycle.

His name is Gilligan. It is very handy not to be the only pool boy around here! :thumleft:

I like my Discovery so much I had to talk more about him.

I've been holding out for a great robot for a long time. My Pentair Legend pressure cleaner did an OK job the first few years. But, admittedly, we have LOT of trees and asked a lot of it. It started acting up, getting stuck a lot, falling over, going in circles, etc. I messed with it some and it got better but not for long. Then one day last fall it annoyed me one time too many and got some algae inside it so it got tossed into the yard. Then it got hailed on this spring. Poor fella! So, I went all fall, winter, spring and summer with no pool cleanere. I brushed weekly most weeks and definitely every two weeks and scooped leaves regularly as usual. It went OK with no cleaner. More work but less annoyance fiddling with the cleaner.

So, I've been reading all the robot threads with interest. But not wanting to spend 800, 1000 or more bucks on a cleaner. And I wanted an easy to clean top load large basket and it had to brush my pool for me cuz I'm busy and a little lazy, especially when it is pool time. Then along came the Doheny Discovery, basically the same as the Maytronics S200. And it went on sale for 650 bucks. Sold!

I've had it for a week or so. I have mostly run it every other day on its 2 hour cycle. I love it. The pool is visibly cleaner. The basket is very easy to clean, it really takes less than 30 seconds to hose it out even when it is jammed full of junk. Today it did a great job of cleaning up after some storms and a cold front blew through and dumped a bunch of leaves and tree junk on the solar cover which was then dumped in the pool. I really thought I would need to run two cycles to clean the pool. Nope, all clean after one cycle.

His name is Gilligan. It is very handy not to be the only pool boy around here! :thumleft:

Glad you like the Discovery. Right now I'm just putting the tank in the pool about twice a week, because we have very little debris in the pool and I like seeing how much it can pick up. Last week it picked up a baby lizard and someone's toenail (gross). Usually it's get fine sand, hair and some leaves from the neighbors tree. We shall see how well this thing holds up over time.

Oh yeah, the cord. It takes a little bit of cord management to keep the cord neat. But, it is a nice lightweight cord that mostly floats and has a pretty good memory for rolling it back up. It is easier to manage the cord then your average heavy duty extension cord. There is no swivel and I could see it getting a bit tangled if you leave it in for a week to run daily. Which, by the way, it has the capability to run daily for a week.

pooldv, just a FYI, I ran my robot six hours,(3-2 hrs cycles) back to back without taking it out of the pool, and my cord never got tangled. I agree that if you let it go five or six cycles it may be a problem, even then, if I were betting, I bet it would be fine.. But for me that will never happen. I'm like you, I love the robot.[emoji106]

pooldv, just a FYI, I ran my robot six hours,(3-2 hrs cycles) back to back without taking it out of the pool, and my cord never got tangled. I agree that if you let it go five or six cycles it may be a problem, even then, if I were betting, I bet it would be fine.. But for me that will never happen. I'm like you, I love the robot.[emoji106]

I just make it a habit of stretching out the cord each time I pull it out of the pool. The yard is about 60 ft long, so I so I stretch it and take out any turns or tangles. Takes about 30 seconds and ensures I don't have a tangle issue.

My only concern about this (relatively) new series of robots from Maytronics is how it handles the main drains. My DX4 will circle the drains for at least a few times each cleaning cycle, and that's with the "kit" Maytronics offers to correct this issue.

If I knew I could get my money back if the Discovery got stuck on my drains, I'd buy one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Mine usually goes right over my main drains, if it does get hung up its for just a second or two before it just backs right off it. It has never got hung up and stayed on it. I guess I can't say for sure about your drains but it has no trouble with mine. I have four of them, two for my main pump, and two for my water features.

+1, mine has no issues going over the drain covers. Either with the tracks going over the cover or running over it dead center it goes by with no issues at all every time.

Dohenys is a chain of pools stores in midwest (?).... They are big enough that Maytronics sells some of their pool cleaners under the stores name. I would just order it from their online store directly... not everything needs to be purchased through amazon.

Amail, that one star review concerned me initially but As I recall it was mostly due to the Amazon description saying that the unit had an anti-swivel device when in fact, it does not have one. If you look at the description on Dohenny's it doesn't claim to have the anti-swivel as one of its features. I am not sure why the Amazon description is not accurate (at least it was still wrong the last time I looked at it about 2 weeks ago.

I've been using the unit for a couple of weeks and I haven't had any cord management issues, just FYI.

I thought it a bit strange it gets a one-star review given the good marks it gets on TFP. If anyone here has bought one from Amazon, I'm sure Doheny would appreciate a good review on Amazon; Amazon sellers live and die based on product reviews.

Regarding the circling the drain thing....my DX4 will sometimes circle the drain for over 5-10 minutes. One "spin" or a hesitation going over the drains wouldn't bother me a bit...but when I see it spinning on the drain for minutes at a time, then that's concerning. As, as the Discovery doesn't have a swivel power cord, it could be a problem.

But good to know nobody here has experienced this problem! Makes my decision a bit easier.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.