Doheny's Discovery, S200, Active20, Triton owners club

Just ordered one of the new Triton's with powerstream, importing from the good old U.S. (even with conversion and import duty/taxes I'm still ahead with what some of the dealers here were offering). A few dealers told me they switched to polaris because the last batch of price increases on the dolphins were just too much... Anyway am excited to finally be part of the robot club, now the hardest part, waiting.......

I'm about to make a purchase for one of these cleaners. I spoke with Marina Pool and Spa today, they have the following:

Active 20 - $659.00
Dolphin S200 - $799.00
Active 30 - $799.00

What is the difference between the S20 and S200? I've read almost all of this thread, and from previous post, people claim they are the same. But if they are the same, why have a $140.00 price difference?

I also probably will buy the Caddy, which is $129 (Active S20 + Caddy = $788.00). So at this point, I'm thinking go ahead and get the Active 30 that comes with a caddy AND bluetooth. Thoughts on this as well?

I'm about to make a purchase for one of these cleaners. I spoke with Marina Pool and Spa today, they have the following:

Active 20 - $659.00
Dolphin S200 - $799.00
Active 30 - $799.00

What is the difference between the S20 and S200? I've read almost all of this thread, and from previous post, people claim they are the same. But if they are the same, why have a $140.00 price difference?

I also probably will buy the Caddy, which is $129 (Active S20 + Caddy = $788.00). So at this point, I'm thinking go ahead and get the Active 30 that comes with a caddy AND bluetooth. Thoughts on this as well?

There is no difference except color between the A20 and S200. Don't rack your brain trying to understand the price difference.

At those pricing levels, if you need/want the caddy, I agree.

I just received mt s300 and am having major issues. The first 3 times i tried getting it to work it ran about 10-20 minutes before turning itself off and floating to the top of the pool. I noticed sometimes it just starts randomly floating through the pool then sinks. I also noticed it does wheelies on the bottom of the pool. ANyone had issues like this before. My robot is brand new so IDK what is wrong with it

Your robot is not working properly. The S series don't float, they sink naturally. So something is really wrong with your unit as the only way it can come up to the surface is if the flow is reverse and water is being forced out of the bottom.

Take it back for repair under warranty.

I seriously doubt they do charge out of state sales tax. But a quick call will confirm that. Or maybe someone will let you know.

Just FYI - There is a currently good buy on a refurb Dolphin Premium (same as S300i) for $799 (no caddy). One year warranty with mail-in service. Poolpartz.com. I snagged an Active 20 refurb in the spring for $499. Availability and pricing changes frequently there on the refurbs. Sometimes by the day on the same model. It's a calculated risk.

Being up north, time goes fast on warranties when you only use them for 6 months max. each season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I decided to get the Active 20....it was at a price I couldn't resist. I like the s200 color scheme better, but not for the cost difference(!). Few observations;
  • Watching it move around was interesting, can't figure out its algorithm. This video from Dolphin provides some clues; Dolphin Active features - YouTube
  • I used to have an Aquabot years ago. The new generation of cleaners is a huge advancement. The biggest differences with the Active 20: much lighter, no handle to adjust (to prevent chord tangling), easier to take out the filter basket (top), lighter chord (guessing this helps minimize tangles), smaller, programmable (multiple times per week), and numerous other things.
  • My Polaris 280 laid lifeless on the pool patio, watching the new Active 20 show it how to really clean a pool. The intelligence of the robot cleaners makes the 280 look like a drunkin sailor wandering aimlessly to and fro.
  • I couldn't figure out how to install the pleated filters AND fine filters at the same time, so I just used the pleated filter. I watched the video again and it looks like this IS possible. Hello Maytronic... please provide a little better directions.
  • For its maiden cleaning, it cleaned 85% of the pool just fine. Oddly, it omitted the upper walls of the deep end where there's a little algae. Makes me wonder if the Dolphin re-learns the pool each time or if the learning process spans multiple sessions. I don't mind getting out the brush, but I wonder if the 'bot will skip sections like this evertime it cleans.
IMG_0045small.jpg

Good purchase.

Not sure how the filters work on your unit, but on the S300i, the coarse filter screen sits INSIDE the ultra fine filter basket. It's like an insert. Each of the cartridges of the Ultra fine filter snaps into the basket frame. There are four of them and you remove and replace them in numerical order - screen 1, 2, 3, 4 and then replace screen 4, 3, 2, 1.

See my thread for a picture of the filter basket assembly -

So this just happened.... - Page 3

And here in more detail -

So this just happened.... - Page 6

Ahh, I see. I thought the inner (course) filters attached to the outer (fine) filters by snapping into place. Looks like you assemble the course filters outside the basket then drop them into place. Thanks!

Correction to above, just reading through your thread and noticed pooldv said "Nice! Mine is different. The coarse, mesh screens are the same as the fine, pleated filters. One or the other." So, your 300 model lets you use both at the same time. Go figure.

Without reading through this whole thread again, makes me wonder if most people use the cartridge or fine filter.

Mine came all assembled. But yes, coarse filter goes inside fine filter. The fine filters are amazing! You can see pictures of the fine silt that I capture in my pool in that same thread.

Ahh, I see. I thought the inner (course) filters attached to the outer (fine) filters by snapping into place. Looks like you assemble the course filters outside the basket then drop them into place. Thanks!

Correction to above, just reading through your thread and noticed pooldv said "Nice! Mine is different. The coarse, mesh screens are the same as the fine, pleated filters. One or the other." So, your 300 model lets you use both at the same time. Go figure.

Without reading through this whole thread again, makes me wonder if most people use the cartridge or fine filter.

Here's the inner basket which can be purchased separately:

Maytronics Dolphin 9983106 Rough Filter | Marina Pool Spa & Patio

The best approach that I've found is to use the inner basket with the pleated inserts for the outer basket. Without the inner basket, the pleats clog up with little bits of twigs, other debris and reduce the unit's efficiency. The inner mesh basket catches all that stuff so the water flows through the pleats unobstructed (there's a small gap between the inner and outer baskets).

Here's the inner basket which can be purchased separately:

Maytronics Dolphin 9983106 Rough Filter | Marina Pool Spa & Patio

The best approach that I've found is to use the inner basket with the pleated inserts for the outer basket. Without the inner basket, the pleats clog up with little bits of twigs, other debris and reduce the unit's efficiency. The inner mesh basket catches all that stuff so the water flows through the pleats unobstructed (there's a small gap between the inner and outer baskets).

Agreed. I bought that basket (bottomless basket) and now run with both levels of filtration like the 300 crowd.

MY 300 has both as well . Fine filtration pleated sections x4 that snap into the filter housing and a drop in coarse basket screen that drops inside the filter basket.
I always run both ............it amazing at how much the coarse screens catch before the fine pleats . Its even MORE amazing at how much fine "crud" that the fine pleats catch !
The fine and coarse filtration options when used together, have just got to be the best way to run these class of robots !

After much research, I decided to buy A20 (which is same as S200 but with different color). Looking forward for a cleaner pool :)
By the way, I ordered from Marina Pool and Spa for $659.00.

Great tip!, just ordered mine as well, free shipping and no taxes from this store. I was about to get the Premium (Active 30i) from PoolPartz for $800 (refurbished) but for a small pool like mine (12K gallons) don't think will end up using all the features in the the higher end model and also only one year of warranty in the refurbished vs 2 yr for the new at Marina.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.