Does this mean my pool is froze and in jeopardy?

Jun 19, 2017
Siloam Springs, Ar
When I closed, I did the chlorine level as instructed on this site, then put in sufficient polyquat and allowed the pump to distribute. I drained water level about 3-4 inches below skimmer, unhooked everything and took all hoses off. I put cut up noodles in skimmer basket and bought and extra large heavy duty winter pool cover. Only thing I know I messed up on is the size of the cover.mi had terrible times before getting them to stay down when we had high winds so I opted to go bigger and got the bright idea that if I got one that came quite a ways down the side of pool, I wouldn’t have that trouble. When it came, it was bigger than I expected. Well, the wind can’t blow it off, but I can’t easily get it un-ratcheted and untied to look in it to see what’s going on or to add more products. In NWA we have been hit with a lot of frigid temps, wind chills, and now in last week, several snows. I think our coldest temp has been -18 with wind chill of -25. Yesterday was first day I could get out to get snow off without my health being in jeopardy. What I’m feeling is ice under the cover. I’m freakin out here wondering if i should have found a way to get cover off and add more polyquat/clorine, and if my pool liner is liable rip at some point and be damage?????? I have never had any problems like this before, but, we’ve never had these kind of temps since I have had a pool. Last year I peeled cover back periodically and tested water and it was crystal clear all inter and never offered to freeze.
QUESTIONS: 1. What did I do wrong?
2. What should I do now?
3. Why did it freeze and how far down do you think it is frozen.?
4. Do you think I’ve ruined my liner?
any help to make this old lady quit freakin out is much appreciated. You guys are great helping me.
My signature isn’t showing up on here, I hope when I hit post, it will. Thanks, charliej

Keep an eye on your cover and don’t let the ice or snow build up weight the cover down and bend the legs on the pool. You can loosen the cover so that when the pool thaws the cover can sink instead of putting pressure on the poles and bending them. Pull the cover off if you can and then you won’t have to worry about it. You really only need the cover until all the leaves have fallen.
The liner should be fine. Intex liners are thicker than traditional vinyl liners and less likely to be cut by ice.
When the water thaws you can check the chemistry.

• Love
Reactions: charliej
Hey Charlie !!

1) nothing. Polyquat/chlorine make an algae unfriendly pool. Ice is free to come and go.
2) enjoy a tasty beverage and take in the sights. Its pretty to look at.
3) probably a few inches and its harmless
4) every vinyl pool in the upper half of the country freezes. And they have since ever. Year after year after year. Until the UV from the sun gets them. Or they just crack from being 10-15 years old. But anywho, how's that tasty beverage going?

• Love
Reactions: charliej
Keep an eye on your cover and don’t let the ice or snow build up weight the cover down and bend the legs on the pool. You can loosen the cover so that when the pool thaws the cover can sink instead of putting pressure on the poles and bending them. Pull the cover off if you can and then you won’t have to worry about it. You really only need the cover until all the leaves have fallen.
The liner should be fine. Intex liners are thicker than traditional vinyl liners and less likely to be cut by ice.
When the water thaws you can check the chemistry.

Thanks so much. i knew you all would make me feel better about this. so far there hasnt been much ice build up. this week was the only time there was any and it was just a thin layer beneath the snow. i always got the pump out everytime it rained before it had a chance to freeze over. you guys are awesome!!!

Hey Charlie !!

1) nothing. Polyquat/chlorine make an algae unfriendly pool. Ice is free to come and go.
2) enjoy a tasty beverage and take in the sights. Its pretty to look at.
3) probably a few inches and its harmless
4) every vinyl pool in the upper half of the country freezes. And they have since ever. Year after year after year. Until the UV from the sun gets them. Or they just crack from being 10-15 years old. But anywho, how's that tasty beverage going?

So awesome for all of you to get back so rapidly. i was really stressing. my pool is first year new so that is why i was so worried. thanks for all the encouragement and info. and thanks for the advise on that cold beverage! Best reccomendation all day! now, I must tend to that margarita ASAP! you guys are great!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every pool in the north freezes every year. I wouldn’t be surprised if every inch of water froze solid during the winter on my pool. It just happens. The best thing you can do is just forget about it and not mess with it.
Thank you so much. i just worried, I guess because my other pool, same kind, never froze. BUT< like i said...NW Arkansas hasnt had this brutal of temperatures since i have owned pools. You guys are so great and so speedy to reply on here.

Worry can be a good thing. It will keep you on top of the things that you should actually be on top of. This is not one of them. Now, back to the important stuffs ...... Appletinis or Mojitos ?

Pineapple mojitos. YUM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.