Does rain affect the SLAM process?

Junta

Jan 5, 2015
East Hampton/CT
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I started SLAMing my pool this past Sunday. I thought we were making progress. I wasn’t seeing an improvement in the overnight chlorine test. Then we had torrential rains one afternoon (around 2”-3”) and the next day we got another 0.25” - 0.5” of rain. There was no sun during those two days. I checked and adjusted my chlorine levels last night and it was 25 ppm (cya @ 50) and this morning, before the sun hit the pool, it was 18.5! That is the biggest loss since Sunday. Maybe I made an error in measuring somewhere but I don’t think so. So I am wondering does the amount of rain I received have any affect on the SLAM process? Is it enough to explain how things have gotten much worse since I started this process?

My son is at home during the day and has been my tester and the one adding liquid chlorine for me 2-3 times during the day until I get home from work.

Thanks!

Severe weather can interfere with the ability to go check the pool & add liquid chlorine but So long as the pump was running & mixing the water it shouldn’t have much of an effect on progress. If the pump was off & the rain water wasn’t mixed well when u took your sample that could have resulted in a little lower fc reading but the rain didn’t consume 6.5ppm of fc.
Just carry on w/ SLAM Process .
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.