Does Pool-Krete fail when it gets wet?

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
So I'm trying to clarify something that a pool-builder said. They were against using Pool-Krete for the bottom of a pool, and said that if the vinyl liner tears and subsequently leaks, the water that hits the pool-krete will cause the pool-krete to fail. Is there any validity to this?

No, its basically portland cement and vermiculite - it never gets as hard as concrete, but water can sit on it and it won't damage it.

I mixed my own (2 bags verm to 1 bag portland cement if I remember correctly), but I ran out of verm so I picked up 10 bags of pool krete (which is the pre-mix of verm & portland).
I did my floor 3 summers ago, and since then I've had a spring issue with water getting behind my liner. So basically for several months I have water between the liner and the vermiculite floor. I pulled the liner back to pump out the water the spring and floor still looks like it did when I trowed it - smooth as a babies bottom and no dimples or pitting from the water. I suppose if water sat on it, and there was high traffic (foot traffic) it might wear it down, but I haven't seen any of that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.