Does anybody make a skimmer basket that lasts?

Get a piece of 2" PVC pipe to store the pole in when it is not being used.

Fill the PVC pipe with nitrogen and cap the ends so that there is no exposure to oxygen or use a vacuum pump to remove all air from the PVC pipe, which will cause all water to evaporate instantly and the aluminum won't sit wet in storage.

• Love
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
The telescoping pole is really solid and sturdy. The leaf net looks pretty rugged too but not unlike other nets I have owned. I almost don’t want to leave the pole outside for fear of it getting trashed.
Got mine yesterday and opened it today. Ordered a 2nd one minutes later. I don't mind spending money on quality stuff. This thing is quality stuff. And I really like the threaded accessory, I already have a use for that. The telescoping is sooooo much easier to operate, especially for these old paws.

Hopefully the company will be around if anything goes wrong with it. I'm a little concerned about the rubber handle. Will that hold up outside? And will they replace it if it doesn't? Time will tell.

Now I can't wait to to get the 2nd one, so I can proudly hang them both together on the wall where, like the set they are replacing, they will get many, many years of non-use!

Reactions: Newdude
Got mine yesterday and opened it today. Ordered a 2nd one minutes later. I don't mind spending money on quality stuff. This thing is quality stuff. And I really like the threaded accessory, I already have a use for that. The telescoping is sooooo much easier to operate, especially for these old paws.

Hopefully the company will be around if anything goes wrong with it. I'm a little concerned about the rubber handle. Will that hold up outside? And will they replace it if it doesn't? Time will tell.

Now I can't wait to to get the 2nd one, so I can proudly hang them both together on the wall where, like the set they are replacing, they will get many, many years of non-use!

Did you register your order for the warranty? They say they have an absolutely “No Hassle” warranty. I registered mine … super easy. Just scan the QR code, put in your Amazon order number with the standard name and address stuff and an email address. That’s it. And you get a 10% off your next order coupon of you register.

Reactions: Dirk and Mdragger88

I have thought about getting one specifically because of it’s multi purpose functionality. I generally need a pool pole way more than I need a paint pole or whatever so at least I wouldn’t have to store both that way. (My current paint poles are flimsy broom handles). My cheeapo pool pole is 5 years old but its light weight & long so I’m riding it out for now 🤣

Reactions: Dirk
Did you register your order for the warranty? They say they have an absolutely “No Hassle” warranty. I registered mine … super easy. Just scan the QR code, put in your Amazon order number with the standard name and address stuff and an email address. That’s it. And you get a 10% off your next order coupon of you register.
The cap looked a lot like the tube had been opened. I thought at first that I'd gotten another Amazon return recycle, but the unit looked perfect and unused. Where is the QR code? I only found the pole and the thread adapter (and all the foam packing). What else comes in the tube? Dang, I could have used that coupon! Would have been about 15 bucks.

I have thought about getting one specifically because of it’s multi purpose functionality. I generally need a pool pole way more than I need a paint pole or whatever so at least I wouldn’t have to store both that way. (My current paint poles are flimsy broom handles). My cheeapo pool pole is 5 years old but its light weight & long so I’m riding it out for now 🤣
You can buy pool pole thread adapters on Amazon. Though the one that came with looks to be stainless steel and very strong. Maybe aluminum, some sort of metal anyway.

The cap looked a lot like the tube had been opened. I thought at first that I'd gotten another Amazon return recycle, but the unit looked perfect and unused. Where is the QR code? I only found the pole and the thread adapter (and all the foam packing). What else comes in the tube? Dang, I could have used that coupon! Would have been about 15 bucks.

image.jpg

This was attached to my pole …

Reactions: Dirk
Dang, I could have used that coupon! Would have been about 15 bucks.

Send them an email, tell them you loved it so much at first sight that you ordered another before discovering the benefits of registering. They're good folks; if they can make it right, I think they will.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Matt. Doy, I found it. I never read it.

I got the pole and the threaded adapter with the plastic thingie that holds the adapter in place, and a second plastic thingie. Did you get that second one? Or anything else?

Send them an email, tell them you loved it so much at first sight that you ordered another before discovering the benefits of registering. They're good folks; if they can make it right, I think they will.
I did already, through Amazon's messaging interface. If that doesn't work I'll follow up with an email. Thanks.

Thanks Matt. Doy, I found it. I never read it.

I got the pole and the threaded adapter with the plastic thingie that holds the adapter in place, and a second plastic thingie. Did you get that second one? Or anything else?

I got the giant cardboard tube (which I want to keep for kid projects … there’s got to be something I can blow up with it 🤔), the inner foam standoffs (gotta give 15 thumbs up for packagaing job well done 👍), I got the threaded adapter doohickey, two plastic clips … oh, and the pole!

I also bought their leaf net too.

And the trichlor floater that I still haven’t figured out how to open … maybe I can blow it up with the giant cardboard tube 🤔

Maybe fill it with C-4 to make a nice firecracker for the fourth of July.

A 12ft tube 3” in diameter … C4 is roughly 109 lbs/cu-ft … so about 64.35lbs of C4 or 29.2kg which would yield about 40MJ or about 0.4 therms of energy …. pssshhhh, that would barely even heat my pool a tenth of degree …

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Yeah, but it’s fast.

For example, maybe you promised the kids that the pool would be 82 degrees for their party today, the party starts in 1 millisecond and the pool is only 81.9 degrees.

The MasterTemp will never make it in time, the party will be ruined and the kids will be traumatized for life.

However, the C-4 will get the extra 1/10th of a degree in less than 1 millisecond and you are a hero.

It’s about 296,400,000,000 btu/hr, which is about 741,000 times faster than your MasterTemp.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88
Yeah, but it’s fast.

For example, maybe you promised the kids that the pool would be 82 degrees for their party today, the party starts in 1 millisecond and the pool is only 81.9 degrees.

The MasterTemp will never make it in time, the party will be ruined and the kids will be traumatized for life.

However, the C-4 will get the extra 1/10th of a degree in less than 1 millisecond and you are a hero.

It’s about 296,400,000,000 btu/hr, which is about 741,000 times faster than your MasterTemp.
I love that tube. But I figured I'd junk it because I already have closets and a garage full of things like that, that I might have a use for someday. But now I am rethinking. I could always use another 1/10th of a degree!

Hmmm, but I just got my spring chemicals all balanced. Do you think there would be much splash out? I guess the kids would think it fun...
490+ Kids Swimming River Illustrations, Royalty-Free Vector Graphics & Clip  Art - iStock

Ugh.

This will cost a little, but I think it will solve all of your problems:
  1. Buy the Val-Pak skimmer basket. It has a metal weight molded into the bottom. Can't break off. I think this is the one you want, but you might want to contact Val-Pak to confirm: Val Pak V60-555.
  2. If the basket has a handle, remove it and throw it away.
  3. Buy the Skimmie Sock Lock. It's a plastic base that you mount with screws to the inside of your basket, and a tall plastic handle that attaches/detaches from the base with a quarter turn. Your skimmer socks or hairnets are captured between the base and handle. Photos of mine: Skimmer baskets. The one bad thing: To mount the base, you'll need to drill through the metal weight in the bottom of the Val-Pak basket.
  4. Buy a Pro-Tuff pole.
OK I had some reservations about the cost but I got the 16' ProTuff pole. My dream was being able to adjust the height while brushing as I like the 16' length but have some overhanging branches at the deep end. The el-cheapos don't get you there because those standard couplings are hard to adjust, and even harder after you crunch down on them with vise grips. The ProTuff works as advertised, I was able to readjust with ease. Other than cost, the only other downside is there is a bit of weight to it. It's not an issue for me with my He-Man muscles, but worth mentioning. The other fringe benefit is that wonderful 16' round rigid cardboard container that it ships in. This is going to make the mother of all potato cannons!

Yep, my second one showed up (they're awesome) and I stared at the two tubes in my garage for a while. Finally caved and cut them up for the recycle can last week. It was a sad day. I found a use for the black end caps, so I kept those, in memoriam. :(

So I do have a minor niggle about the ProTuff after living with it for a few hours. The grey color heats up to a million degrees in full sun. My cheap ones are white or blue and don't have that issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.