Do you lower your water 4 inches?

adl6009

Mar 19, 2015
Long Island, NY
I got the tfp email today and saw the recommendation to lower the water, I haven't done this in years. I used to, then I read somewhere not to. I leave the water at the normal level. I blow out the lines, for the returns I took an elbow that screws into the fitting and a little hose that remains above water level, blow the line, poor in antifreeze, and then cap that for the winter. At the skimmer I have a gizmo that opens at the top, I blow the line and let the water out of that, anti freeze, then cap it. I also use a mesh safety cover. This does let in water over the winter but I never had an over flow problem. I feel that the higher water level tends to support the weight of accumulated snow. What do you think? Thanks.

There are a number of levels people recommend lowering the water to. First is just below the tile line so that freezing won't damage the tiles. Second is just below the returns so they don't fill up and freeze. And so-on........ We aren't as far north as you so I just lower below the tile line.

I use to lower to below the skimmer, but liner float was an issue some winters, so I leave the water level half way up the skimmer which seems to help reduce liner float incidents.

I got the tfp email today and saw the recommendation to lower the water, I haven't done this in years. I used to, then I read somewhere not to. I leave the water at the normal level. I blow out the lines, for the returns I took an elbow that screws into the fitting and a little hose that remains above water level, blow the line, poor in antifreeze, and then cap that for the winter. At the skimmer I have a gizmo that opens at the top, I blow the line and let the water out of that, anti freeze, then cap it. I also use a mesh safety cover. This does let in water over the winter but I never had an over flow problem. I feel that the higher water level tends to support the weight of accumulated snow. What do you think? Thanks.
I agree with you I never lower the water level, just blow out lines and cap them. I don't see any reason to lower water level with a vinyl liner. Just more work draining pool. It is better for the liner so you don't have it shifting and also better for your cover so there is less stress from snow and ice accumulation. I also have mesh cover and never had over flow issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.