Do you get dead algae with proper chlorine levels?

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
If my chlorine level is at the appropriate level for the CYA level, will I continue to get a build of dead algae? Or should there be no dead algae in a properly chlorinated pool? I guess I'm just curious to know if you will see dead algae on the bottom of the pool in a properly chlorinated pool, or if the algae should never get the chance to grow, so no dead algae should be expected.

Earlier in the year, my chlorine level got a bit low and we had a small algae bloom. I SLAMed the pool and stopped when the water was crystal clear and < 0.5 CC lost overnight. However, I throw the solar cover on, circulate the pool roughly 8-12 hours a day, and maintain the proper chlorine level and I still get tons of dead algae on the bottom of the pool. For instance, this past week, the solar cover was on for a week since our last swim and the FC level was always above 5. I went to take the cover off and the water was crystal clear, but the bottom had plenty of dead algae. I added some DE to my sand filter and began brushing the bottom. Once I start brushing, large clouds of dead algae start forming and the pool gets cloudy. A few cycles of backwash, add DE, brush, and it's cleared up.

Because the solar cover was on for an entire week, I was not brushing or vacuuming at all. So is it normal for there to be a build up of dead algae? Or should there not have been any? I don't have an automatic cleaner/robot or anything like that. Just not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Here are my test results.

• FC - 5
  • CC - .5
  • pH - 7.5
  • TA - 130
  • CH - 250
  • CYA - 30

I'm currently SLAMing the pool so FC is at 12 (readings were from right before I did a SLAM). I have never had CC greater than 0.5.

Thanks.

Well, you can sorta' answer your own question.........you can't have dead algae unless you start with live algae.
However, I throw the solar cover on, circulate the pool roughly 8-12 hours a day, and maintain the proper chlorine level and I still get tons of dead algae on the bottom of the pool.
Over what period of time did this occur? The conditions to grow live algae either reappeared or never went away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.