Do I treat or start over?

MidwestMama

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
We have a new Jacuzzi hot tub, I don't remember the model number , but it seats 6 with a lounge. It was installed in November. I followed the instructions from the company but was always struggling with the chlorine. I had to go out of state, then the thermostat broke, then we had thick ice and snow storms. In other words, it's been 2 weeks since I opened it. I got out my new Taylor test kit. My TC didn't register, it was completely clear, so <.5. PH is 7.2. CYA was blocking the black dot about 1/2 inch before even getting to 100, so much higher than 100. Am I best off starting from scratch and tossing the pool store chemicals. Or should I try to recover this (and still toss the chemicals?)

I printed out the thread that is pinned about managing the water here in this forum and plan to start following it, so I will likely be back with new questions as I go!

Thanks

With CYA that high, you are likely best off to dump and start over (realize that you still may need to go through the shock process to clear anything live that might be hiding).

Don't just toss out the pool store chemicals. Likely they can still be useful, once you understand what is in them and what levels the impact. Post up a list of the chems you have and we should be able to help understand what they can be used for.

It smelled foul and the weather is above freezing today, so I drained it. I also ran my pump (my pool cover pump ) while adding new water, I hooked the hose up to flush out the pipes while running the pump etc... To remove all the contaminated water I could. I am currently filling it up with city tap water.

Here is a list of what I have... Most are by Rendezvous
Protect Plus (to protect against stains, scale, and rust)
pH Up (sodium carbonate)
Natural Clarifier (for cloudy water)
Foam Out
Natural Clear
pH Down (sodium bisulfate)
Activate (potassium peroxymonosulfate)
Alkalinity Up (sodium bicarbonate)

I also have chlorine but it's Menard Pool Shock. Hot tub man said it'd be fine.

What do I do first when it's filled?

MidwestMama said:
What do I do first when it's filled?
Many folks use the dichlor then bleach method. Here is the recommended method: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html

When you get to the point of using bleach, your menards "pool shock" will work fine in place of the bleach, just adjust for the different concentration.

For now I would avoid using:
MidwestMama said:
Protect Plus (to protect against stains, scale, and rust)
Natural Clarifier (for cloudy water)
Foam Out
Natural Clear
The rest might be useful...follow the instructions in the link above and use them when appropriate.

EDIT: One other comment...it is possible you tub has biofilm in the piping that might continue to challenge your ability to maintain an appropriate FC level. If that is the case, then you will need to do a tub decontamination. The link to that process in in the link I posted above.

The Foam Out worked well. I am fine not using it, will using fewer chemicals create less foam or what do you use?

How will I know if the pipes have the film? Just inability to maintain the right levels?

The link you reference is what I have printed here and plan on using so I'm glad I'm on the right path! The hot tub is only 46 degrees right now! Brrrrrrr, glad it's relatively fast to heat!

I do nott get foaming in my tub.

A couple of thoughts...the foaming might be due to some of the additives in the products you were using (I have not spent the time to look at their msds's). One other possibility is the foam is coming from residues that were left in the tub from wet testing at the factory. It might make sense for you to start over and do the decontamination procedure. Also, take a look at this post where chem geek suggests using Spa system flush.

MidwestMama said:
How will I know if the pipes have the film? Just inability to maintain the right levels?
If your tub is losing more than 25% FC per day after a fresh fill, then you likely need to decontaminate. Again, with the issues you've mentioned, I would consider just biting the bullet and doing a decontamination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.