Do I really need to cover pool for winter? Advice please

May 24, 2018
NB, Canada
Hi all,

I live in Atlantic Canada. Heater has been off for 3 weeks now (crappy weather this September). I am still running the SWG and watching my water levels to keep my CSI between 0 and -0.3 and intend to maintain this until the very last minute. Water is currently 58 degrees.

I will be doing my closing procedure in late October (fiberglass pool). Last year (my first winter with the pool) I did not use a cover but I also did not make a huge effort to clean the leaves out of the pool after the fall. I cleaned the bulk but some stayed in to be removed in the spring (a mistake) - it needed a big SLAM in the spring, although I attribute that to waiting too long to start chlorinating the pool after it thawed out. I now have a better grip of sanitation and its importance even when not swimming.

This year I plan on keeping it crystal clean and keeping any organics out as much as possible until the freeze. Do I still need a winter cover? Note that I do not want a winter cover for safety - the pool area is closed/fenced in and we don't go there in the winter.

I just want to be sure I will be getting a lot of benefit for the expense and hassle of setting up the water bags, pumping out the water above the cover in the spring, etc. There is only 1 tree within 30 feet of the pool. Only stuff that gets in the pool is airborne dirt/dust plus a few leaves blowing in here and there.

In your case the cover will just be to stop the leaves and whatnot from blowing in. Once they all fall there won’t be much blowing around if your yard is cleaned up. Scoop out whatever is there occasionally and you’ll be good. You can even add some chlorine from time to time and stir it with a brush. You won’t need nearly as much during the cold season.

Reactions: thejeff
@SBall we are new pool owners this season and live just south of Nashville in Spring Hill. We don't have a cover and were planning to leave open as well. Pool is fiberglass. Any advice for us since we can get below freezing occasionally? Our winter weather here is so unpredictable.

For the occasional freeze, just leave the pump running 24/7. We're in North Carolina and this works when we occasionally don't close the pool down for the winter. However, this may or may not work in Arctic Canada!

A leaf net will keep leaves and other debris out of the pool for much less than a safety cover would cost to install.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.