Do I need to do the SLAM process if my FC is stable before closing?

May 18, 2018
Winnipeg, Canada
I am preparing to close my pool this weekend and due to the cold weather we are having lately I notice that my fc level is not dropping at all. Is this normal on close to zero temps? I was wondering if I still need to do the SLAM process before closing?

I am preparing to close my pool this weekend and due to the cold weather we are having lately I notice that my fc level is not dropping at all. Is this normal on close to zero temps? I was wondering if I still need to do the SLAM process before closing?

In my closing thread, I do not recommend SLAM'ing the pool, but bringing up the pool to SLAM level or near SLAM level and allowing the levels to drift down until closing, and adding Poly60. You can skip the algaecide all together and just close at the SLAM level, but not both.

Bringing up the pool to SLAM is designed to keep chlorine in the pool until the real cold weather hits, and to stall algae until the spring, nothing more.

May be a dumb question.
why to add all these chemical when closing? we need to slam anyway after opening.
In spite of slamming last fall it was deep green when I opened.
I am planning to maintain PH and close .
Any thoughts?

May be a dumb question. why to add all these chemical when closing? we need to slam anyway after opening. In spite of slamming last fall it was deep green when I opened. I am planning to maintain PH and close . Any thoughts?

You will need to be a little more specific.

When exactly did you close?
When exactly did you open?
What exactly were your levels when you closed?
What type of cover do you have?
What did you add to your pool (algaecide's, etc.) upon closing?

There is a logical reason why you opened green!

May be a dumb question.
why to add all these chemical when closing? we need to slam anyway after opening.
In spite of slamming last fall it was deep green when I opened.
I am planning to maintain PH and close .
Any thoughts?

I open to a clear pool that does not need a SLAM, fourth season now.

As mentioned, close cold, open cold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.